Solving a System of Forces Problem: Analytical Approach

In summary, the figure has a balance that can be found if the forces acting on the bar are added together and the resulting torque is zero.
Augusto1987
On the steel bar of the figure acts a system of forces. Check the balance.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/3714/dibujo2ch.jpg
F1(2,-1.5) = (1000N,120º)
M1 = 200Nm
F2(2,1.5) = (1000N,240º)
M2 = 400Nm
F3(0,2.5) = (1000N,0º)
M3 = 1900Nm

¿How do I solve it? ¿Can anyone teach me to do it?
Thanks very much in advance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, luv. Your diagram makes no sense to me at all. I can't tell if you're dealing with an S-shaped bar or just what.

Some generic advice: Balance is all about torques. Pick a pivot point on the bar - exactly where doesn't matter mathematically, but there are good places and bad places to put it. Generally, putting the pivot point where one force acts causes that force to cancel out of the torques and makes life easier.

Once you have the pivot point selected, calculate the torque applied from each force involved. Add the torques - if they sum to 0, then the bar is not experiencing torque, is therefore experiencing no angular acceleration, and is therefore balanced. If there's a torque, then no.

Does that help?

Diane_ said:
I'm sorry, luv. Your diagram makes no sense to me at all. I can't tell if you're dealing with an S-shaped bar or just what.

Some generic advice: Balance is all about torques. Pick a pivot point on the bar - exactly where doesn't matter mathematically, but there are good places and bad places to put it. Generally, putting the pivot point where one force acts causes that force to cancel out of the torques and makes life easier.

Once you have the pivot point selected, calculate the torque applied from each force involved. Add the torques - if they sum to 0, then the bar is not experiencing torque, is therefore experiencing no angular acceleration, and is therefore balanced. If there's a torque, then no.

Does that help?

Sorry for the diagram, but I used some words and letters in spanish, perhaps this can clear the problem:
The bar has a shape like this: |_
........_|
.......|
I used "M" to represent the torques, and I specified the directions of them.

Can you now help me? Thanks :smile:

Last edited:
Resolve the forces in x and y direction to see that the resultant force in x and y directions are zero. If the resultant force is zero then the center of mass is not accelerating.
Find the resultant momentum about any point. If it is zero then angular acceleration is zero.

A body is said to be in equilibrium if resultant of all the forces acting on it is zero and resultant moment is zero.

(In your fig. all the moments are anticlockwise ! )

mukundpa said:
Resolve the forces in x and y direction to see that the resultant force in x and y directions are zero. If the resultant force is zero then the center of mass is not accelerating.
Find the resultant momentum about any point. If it is zero then angular acceleration is zero.

A body is said to be in equilibrium if resultant of all the forces acting on it is zero and resultant moment is zero.

(In your fig. all the moments are anticlockwise ! )

That's the point! I don't know how to solve it, that's why I'm asking for anyone to teach me and show analitically how to do it... Thanks...

1. What is a system of forces problem?

A system of forces problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on an object in a particular situation. This could include finding the net force on an object, determining the direction of motion, or calculating the acceleration of an object.

2. How do you solve a system of forces problem?

To solve a system of forces problem, you must first identify all the forces acting on the object and their magnitudes and directions. Then, using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), you can calculate the net force and determine the resulting motion or acceleration of the object.

3. What are some common examples of system of forces problems?

Some common examples of system of forces problems include analyzing the forces acting on a car traveling on a curved road, determining the forces involved in a tug-of-war game, or calculating the gravitational forces between two objects.

4. What is the difference between a balanced and unbalanced system of forces?

A balanced system of forces is one in which the net force on the object is equal to zero, resulting in no acceleration. An unbalanced system of forces, on the other hand, has a net force that is not equal to zero, causing the object to accelerate in the direction of the net force.

5. How does friction affect a system of forces problem?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is often present in a system of forces problem. It can change the magnitude and direction of the net force on an object, so it must be taken into account when solving these types of problems.