Efficient Solution for System of Laplace Transforms with Initial Values

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem with Laplace Transforms but is having difficulty. He is able to solve the problem by separating the equations and finding the zero solution.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Solve using Laplace Transforms

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=x-2y[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=5x-y[/tex]

Subject to x(0)=0 y(0)=0Okay. So I know that there are more efficient ways to solve this, but I missed the class in systems of Laplace Transforms and would like to get this resolved.

I guess my first question is what the first step is. Is it the same as any other kind of systems approach, that is, to find a multiplier that allows me to sum the two equations eliminating one of the variables?

I must assume this is the approach, but for some reason I am confused.
So I have:

[itex]x'-x+2y=0[/itex] (1)
[itex]y'+y-5x=0[/itex] (2)

I am looking in my text, I will come back to edit...

Okay. So all of the examples given only have one dependent variable, so bear with me.

Taking Laplace of each equation yields:

[itex]sX(s)-x(0)-X(s)+2Y(s)=0[/itex] (3)
[itex]sY(s)-y(0)+Y(s)-5X(s)=0[/itex] (4)

Applying initial values

[itex]sX(s)-X(s)+2Y(s)=0[/itex]
[itex]sY(s)+Y(s)-5X(s)=0[/itex]

I am assuming that this is the point where I eliminate? I also assume I should sort these first. Giving:
[itex]X(s)[s-1]+2Y(s)=0[/itex] (5)
[itex]Y(s)[s+1]-5X(s)=0[/itex] (6)

Multiplying
5*(5) and [s-1]*(6) yields

[itex]5X(s)[s-1]+10Y(s)=0[/itex] (7)
[itex]Y(s)[s+1][s-1]-5X(s)[s-1]=0[/itex] (8)

Adding (7) + (8) yields

[itex]10Y(s)+Y(s)(s+1)(s-1)=0[/itex] (9)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can someone tell me if I am on the right path? I cannot see the next move. If I factor out Y(s) and divide it off, I am going to get Y(s)=0 !

Did I approach this right?

Yes, you're going to get Y(s)=0. This problem is a bit silly, as it only has the zero solution. Even if you don't understand Laplace transforms, you can still understand why this is the case. Let us separate the coupled differential equations.

Differentiate the first equation to get:

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}=\frac{dx}{dt}-2\frac{dy}{dt}[/tex]

Now use the original equations to sub in for [itex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]. You obtain the following.

[tex]\frac{d^2x}{dt^2}+9x=0[/tex].

Furthermore, [itex]x(0)=y(0)=0[/itex] implies that [itex]\frac{dx(0)}{dt}=0[/itex] as well. So you have a sourceless 2nd order DE with zero initial conditions.

The only solution is the zero solution.

Hey now! I see what you are saying. Thanks Tom. I should have gone with my gut!

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in science and engineering to simplify the analysis of linear time-invariant systems.

2. How is a Laplace transform calculated?

The Laplace transform is calculated by integrating the function of time multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex variable. The result is a new function of the complex variable s, which can then be used to analyze the original function in the frequency domain.

3. What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is the mathematical operation that converts a function of complex frequency back into a function of time. It is essentially the reverse of the Laplace transform and is used to obtain the original function from its transformed form.

4. What are the applications of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms have a wide range of applications in science and engineering, including electrical circuits, control systems, signal processing, and fluid dynamics. They are particularly useful for solving differential equations and analyzing the behavior of linear systems.

5. What are the advantages of using Laplace transforms?

The use of Laplace transforms can simplify the analysis of complex systems, especially those involving differential equations. They also allow for the manipulation of functions using algebraic operations, making it easier to solve problems and obtain analytical solutions. Additionally, Laplace transforms can be used to study the stability and frequency response of systems, providing valuable insights into their behavior.