Can the System of Linear Diff Eqs be Solved Using Undetermined Coefficients?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the system x'= -x+y and y'=-2y by first finding the general solution for y(t) and then using that to solve for x(t). It is suggested to use undetermined coefficients for x(t) and the complementary solution for y(t).
LMKIYHAQ

Homework Statement

Consider the system x'= -x+y
y'= -2y
Find the general solution (x(t),y(t)) by first solving for y(t) and then solving for x(t).

Homework Equations

Should I use undetermined coefficients for each of these separate diff eqs or should I substitute x'+x into the y' +2y=0?

The Attempt at a Solution

When I attempted this, I substituted x'+x into y'+2y=0 and got ae^-2t +be^-t where a and b are arbitraty constants. I am not sure if I need to look at a particular solution using undetermined coefficients or if I am even on the right track??

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the problem tells you to solve y'=-2y first, so what is the general solution y(t) to this homogeneous equation?

I solved this and got y(t)= -(e^(t+c))/2. Is this right?

Well,

[tex]y'(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{-1}{2} e^{t+c}\right)= \frac{-1}{2} e^{t+c} \neq -2y[/tex]

so I'm gunna say no on that one.

The DE y'(t)=-2y(t) tells you that the time derivative of y(t) is proportional to y(t), and that the constant of proportionality is -2. I can think of only one type of function that could account for that: Ae^(-2t)

Last edited:
ok so y(t)=ae^(-2t). I think I understand how to get this by using undetermined coeff. where y'+2y=0.
For x(t)... x'(t)= -x+y...what information do I have for the y part in order to slove for x(t)?

You have y=ae^(-2t); plug that in and use it:

[tex]x'=-x+ae^{-2t} \Rightarrow x'+x=ae^{-2t}[/tex]

which is an inhomogeneous DE which you can solve using undetermined coefficients. Start with the complimentary solution [itex]x_c(t)[/itex], what do you get for that?

1. What is a system of linear differential equations?

A system of linear differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationships between multiple variables and their rates of change. These equations are linear, meaning that the variables and their derivatives are raised to the first power only.

2. How is a system of linear differential equations solved?

A system of linear differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as substitution, elimination, or matrix operations. The goal is to find the values of the variables that satisfy all of the equations in the system.

3. What is the importance of solving a system of linear differential equations?

Solving a system of linear differential equations allows us to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It helps us predict and analyze the behavior of these systems over time.

4. Can a system of linear differential equations have multiple solutions?

Yes, a system of linear differential equations can have multiple solutions. These solutions may represent different scenarios or initial conditions that can lead to different outcomes for the system.

5. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous system of linear differential equations?

A homogeneous system of linear differential equations has all zero constants, meaning that the equations do not involve any external factors. A non-homogeneous system has non-zero constants, indicating the presence of external factors that affect the system.