1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of linear diff eqs

1. Oct 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the system x'= -x+y
    y'= -2y
    Find the general solution (x(t),y(t)) by first solving for y(t) and then solving for x(t).

2. Relevant equations

Should I use undetermined coefficients for each of these separate diff eqs or should I substitute x'+x into the y' +2y=0?

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I attempted this, I substituted x'+x into y'+2y=0 and got ae^-2t +be^-t where a and b are arbitraty constants. I am not sure if I need to look at a particular solution using undetermined coefficients or if I am even on the right track??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, the problem tells you to solve y'=-2y first, so what is the general solution y(t) to this homogeneous equation?

4. Oct 7, 2008 #3
    I solved this and got y(t)= -(e^(t+c))/2. Is this right?

5. Oct 7, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well,

[tex]y'(t)=\frac{d}{dt}\left( \frac{-1}{2} e^{t+c}\right)= \frac{-1}{2} e^{t+c} \neq -2y[/tex]

so I'm gunna say no on that one.

The DE y'(t)=-2y(t) tells you that the time derivative of y(t) is proportional to y(t), and that the constant of proportionality is -2. I can think of only one type of function that could account for that: Ae^(-2t)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  6. Oct 7, 2008 #5
    ok so y(t)=ae^(-2t). I think I understand how to get this by using undetermined coeff. where y'+2y=0.
    For x(t)... x'(t)= -x+y...what information do I have for the y part in order to slove for x(t)?

7. Oct 7, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have y=ae^(-2t); plug that in and use it:

[tex]x'=-x+ae^{-2t} \Rightarrow x'+x=ae^{-2t}[/tex]

which is an inhomogeneous DE which you can solve using undetermined coefficients. Start with the complimentary solution [itex]x_c(t)[/itex], what do you get for that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?