1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of linear equations

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find coefficients a, b, c, d so that the circle with the following 3 points satisfies the equation:

[tex]ax^{2} + ay^{2} + bx + cy + d = 0[/tex]

(-4, 5)
    (4, -3)
    (-2, 7)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm wondering if since I can only construct 3 equations from the 3 points, if I will have to make one unknown a parameter - probably d.

Is there a way to construct a 4 th equation which I'm missing?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The parameters a,b,c and d are not independent if you are given that it's a circle. Write the equation of a circle in the form (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2. Now you only have three parameters. And you have three points.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  4. Oct 23, 2009 #3
    What if I used Gauss Jordan elimination to find a,b and c in terms of parameter d, would that sufficiently answer the question?

5. Oct 23, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sure, I suppose. The 'fourth parameter' is really that you can divide your whole equation by any one of the four parameters that is nonzero and eliminate it. It was never really there to begin with. I.e. x^2+y^2+bx+cy+d=0 is also just as good.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook