System of Linear Equations

In summary, the system of linear equations given has an infinite number of solutions in x, y, and z. The value of λ is 8, and the maximum value of the given expression is 272. The value of μ is 36, and the problem can be solved using Lagrange multiplier methods to handle constraints. After substituting the values of y and z in the given equation, it can be proven that the statement is correct.
AGNuke
Gold Member
If the system of Linear Equations
[tex]x+y+z=6[/tex]
[tex]x+2y+3z=14[/tex]
[tex]2x+5y+\lambda z=\mu[/tex]
has infinite number of solution in x, y, z

I need to find out two things
1. The value of λ
2. Maximum value of [tex](\mu x+\lambda y-20z)sin^2\theta+(\lambda x+\mu y+64z)cos2\theta, \theta \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] is 272

I used the Matrix method of AX=B to find out λ by solving for A=0; I got the answer 8, and it is correct.

Now my catch is to validate the second question. It is given true, I just need to validate. I tried to solve it with the three existing equations but I was unable to get answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AGNuke said:
If the system of Linear Equations
[tex]x+y+z=6[/tex]
[tex]x+2y+3z=14[/tex]
[tex]2x+5y+\lambda z=\mu[/tex]
has infinite number of solution in x, y, z

I need to find out two things
1. The value of λ
2. Maximum value of [tex](\mu x+\lambda y-20z)sin^2\theta+(\lambda x+\mu y+64z)cos2\theta, \theta \in \mathbb{R}[/tex] is 272

I used the Matrix method of AX=B to find out λ by solving for A=0; I got the answer 8, and it is correct.
That isn't quite correct- first you haven't told us what "A" is! More important you mean det(A)= 0, not A= 0.

Now my catch is to validate the second question. It is given true, I just need to validate. I tried to solve it with the three existing equations but I was unable to get answer.

A is the coefficient matrix which is present when we try to solve the system of equations using matrix.

[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &1 &1 \\
1 & 2 &3 \\
2 &5 &\lambda
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and yes, I meant |A|=0, my bad.

Whatever that may be, I found out the value of λ and I need to find answer to my second question. I am on it, but haven't made progress.

AGNuke said:
A is the coefficient matrix which is present when we try to solve the system of equations using matrix.

[tex]A=\begin{bmatrix}
1 &1 &1 \\
1 & 2 &3 \\
2 &5 &\lambda
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

and yes, I meant |A|=0, my bad.

Whatever that may be, I found out the value of λ and I need to find answer to my second question. I am on it, but haven't made progress.

You also need to determine the value of μ (because if you don't have the correct value the system will have no solutions at all). Once you know λ and μ you have an optimization problem in the 4 variables x,y,z,θ, subject to linear restrictions on x,y,z. This can be tackled via Lagrange multiplier methods, or in some other way that handles constraints. At that point the problem is more suitable for the "Calculus and Beyond" Forum.

RGV

Last edited:
μ can be determined by solving the three given equations, at which point, it returns the value 36.

We know λ and we know μ, I think we are good to go and find the answer.

UPDATE: I got my answer. I just found out y=4-2x and z=x+2; since the system has infinite solutions. I substituted y and z in the asked equation, got -8sin2θ + 272cos2θ. Then made sinθ=0 and cos2θ=1. Proved the statement right. :wink:

Last edited:

What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of equations that involve two or more variables and can be solved simultaneously to find the values of those variables.

How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. The most common method is to use Gaussian elimination, which involves using row operations to reduce the system to row-echelon form and then back-substituting to find the values of the variables.

What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent systems of linear equations?

A consistent system of linear equations has at least one set of solutions that satisfy all of the equations, while an inconsistent system has no solutions that satisfy all of the equations.

Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have infinitely many solutions if the equations are dependent and represent the same line. Otherwise, there can be one unique solution or no solution at all.

How are systems of linear equations used in real life?

Systems of linear equations are used in various fields such as economics, engineering, and science to model and solve real-world problems. For example, they can be used to determine the optimal production levels for a company or to find the intersection point of two moving objects.