1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of linear inequalities

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

3431490221_92642e0dd6.jpg

Determine whether a vector x exists that satisfies the above equation.

2. Relevant equations
    This is not an actual HW problem, and it is not from a book. (There is no section before or after that explains or introduce this problem or problems similar to it.) So I don't know what topic this problem belongs to. I was wondering what the proper name of this type of problem is called, and what is the normal way (correct way) to solve it.

3. The attempt at a solution

At the moment all I could conclude is:

a > 0
    b > 6a > 0
    c > -11a + 6b > 26a > 0
    d < 0, because:
    -6b-110d +e > 0, since b>0 and e<0 (see below), therefore d must be negative.
    d > 6a - 11b + 110c > 6a - 11b + 110(26a) = 2866a - 11b
    e > 6b + 110d > 36a + 110(2866a - 11b) = 315296a - 1210b

Since e<0,

315296a - 1210b < 0
    b > 261a

An now this screws up the inequality above, where I had "b > 6a".

I am stumped because I don't know how to combine the equations. Suppose it was not an inequality, so that I am just trying to find a vector such that the product is the zero-vector, then I could conclude that:

a = 0, therefore:
    b = 0, therefore:
    c = 0, therefore:
    d = 0, therefore:
    e = 0.

So the only solution for x is trivial. But does this result relate in some way to the inequality?

I was hoping that there is a proper way to view this problem, or that there is something method that would immediately tell whether the problem has a solution.

- Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?