1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of Objects

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    System of Objects
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the acceleration of the system of two masses shown in the figure, given that m1 = 10 kg, m2 = 20 kg, θ = 60o and φ = 30o. Assume that the incline plane is smooth (i.e., there is no friction) and that g = 10 m/s2.

2. Relevant equations
    A: T=m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g*sinθ + m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g*sinφ
    B: T[tex]_{1}[/tex]=T[tex]_{2}[/tex]
    C: F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    T[tex]_{total}[/tex]=223.2 using A
    -----
    F=m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g*sinθ - m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g*sinφ

F=123.21
    -----
    Using C: a=F/m
    a=m[tex]_{2}[/tex]g*sinθ - m[tex]_{1}[/tex]g*sinφ / m[tex]_{1}[/tex] + m[tex]_{2}[/tex]
    a= 4.11m/s[tex]^{2}[/tex]

I'm not sure how to approach this one....
    I know tension = T[tex]_{1}[/tex]=T[tex]_{2}[/tex]...
    Then i get the Force that will be going right since m[tex]_{1}[/tex] < m[tex]_{2}[/tex]
    and find the acceleration. I just want someone to see if I understood this right.
    I was trying to approach the masses as two different components, but it didn't work that well..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Where did you get this equation?
    These make sense.

Do this: Draw a free body diagram for each mass, showing all forces acting. Then apply Newton's 2nd law (your equation C) to each mass. Combine the two equations to solve for the acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?