1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of two lenses

1. May 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I don't have the exact problem, but I have a sample that I made demonstrating my question:

There are two lens, the first of focal length 20cm and the second of focal length 25cm. the image is located 15cm in front of the first lens, and the distance between the two lens is 70cm.
    Find the distance of the image of the second lens, and the magnification.

2. Relevant equations
    1/f=1/di+1/do
    m=-di/do

3. The attempt at a solution

after calculating using 1/20=1/15+1/di, the di comes out to be -60cm.

70-(-60)=130=position of object for second lens

1/25=1/130+1/di, the di is ~30.95

magnification of first lens: -(-60/15)=4
    magnification of second lens: -(30/130)=-3/13

magnification of both=-3/13*4=-12/13

But my question is: the di of the first lens came out to be negative, signifying that the image is on the same side as the object, and is virtual. Do i use the 1/f=1/di+1/do equation one more time through the first lens with positive 60 because it goes through the first lens again to get to the second lens, or do I use it directly through the second lens? Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No - what matters is the path the light travels and light does not come from the virtual image - that's why it is virtual.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook