1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systematic errors, random errors and error due to comparison with literature value

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In an experiment to determine the Ar of Li, the % error due to random errors was calculated to be 12.1%. However, the literature value is 6.941 and my calculated value is 7.5 which means my % error s 7.45.

2. Relevant equations
    Usually, the error due to the literature value is greater than the % error due to random errors, but now it is the reverse - what does this mean?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Re: systematic errors, random errors and error due to comparison with literature valu

I'm not sure how you arrived at your error of 7.45%, but you should keep in mind that the error defines a region (a range of values) within which the 'true' value should lie. So long as your calculated value's error range overlaps the 'true' value, then all is well. If your calculated value happens to be close to the literature value, all the better, after all you were aiming for it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook