1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systems Engineering w/o Engineering Undergrad?

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    I'm a freshman in university right now. I originally wanted to do some form of engineering (electrical or mechanical) , but I didn't get accepted to this school's engineering school, and only got in my second choice, which was the science school. So that is where I am now, with my major declared as physics.

My original plan was to internally transfer to the engineering school this year. However, now I am not sure if I actually want to do this . For one thing, I really like physics more than I expected. If I stay here, I can get a degree in computational physics, as well as some electives in some other fields I like.

I recently found about Systems Engineering, and I like the idea. I like the idea of taking a more big picture approach to solving problems and innovating.

My career goals right now are more vague than I hoped, but I want to work in some kind of innovative field like robotics or replacing silicon, and maybe even try entrepreneurship. My more unrealistic dreams/goals would basically be to be the next equivalent of Steve Jobs. I'm not literally expecting or hoping to achieve that, but I think that gives a good idea of what kind of direction I'm looking at.

So my question is - do I have the right idea? Can I complete a physics BS and move directly to a masters program in systems engineering? And if I do this, will I be able to do the kind of innovative work that I'm aiming for?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted