1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systems in equilibrium

1. Aug 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    When a 50-kg mass on a pulley is allowed to drop, the friction in the pulley creates a constant 200 N force upward. What is the tension in the rope?

2. Relevant equations
    F (upward) = F (downward)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted this problem by assigning the upward force as 200 N and the downward force as mg, 500 N. My answer was 500 N but the correct answer is 200 N. Conceptually, this makes sense, but I cannot see how this works mathematically. Could someone please explain how equilibrium plays a role in pulley problems like this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2014 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

If the mass is allowed to drop, then why would there be equillibrium? Maybe I'm misunderstanding the set-up?

Equillibrium is when [itex]\sum F=0[/itex] (and also [itex]\sum \tau =0[/itex])

4. Aug 5, 2014 #3
    Sorry, the applicable formula would be: F(upward) + ma = F (downward). I was confused with torque.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted