1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Systems of linear equations

1. Mar 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I wish to solve the following two equations, which are related:

[tex]
    h(x,y) = y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
    [/tex]

First I set h=0, which gives me y=0. Then I insert y=0 in g, where I find x=b and x=0. All is good here.

Now I wish to solve the same system, but I write it as follows:

[tex]
    h(x,y) = y =0\cdot x + y \quad \text{and} \quad g(x,y) = y+x^2-bx.
    [/tex]

Here I see that all x and y=0 satisfy h(x,y)=0, why I insert these values in g. But all x and y=0 do not satisfy g(x,y)=0 now. I know my reasoning is wrong somewhere, but I cannot see where. Can you shed some light on this simple problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't understand what you asking or what "problem" you have but a few comments. First, you titled this "Systems of linear equations" but the second is not a linear equation. Second, you set "h= 0", why? Are you saying that you actually are solving "y= 0, y+ x2- bx= 0"? If so why define "h" and "g" at all?

Finally, I don't understand why you think that "all x and y= 0" should satisfy both equations. Adding a second equation restricts the possible solutions. Any solution to the both equations must satisfy the first equation by not the other way around: some solutions to one equation will satisfy both. Yes, "all x and y=0" satisfy y= 0. That's true whether you write "+ 0*x" or not. Geometrically, that is the vertical, y, axis. y+ x2- bx= 0 is the same as y= bx- x2 and is satisfied by all points on the parabola. Points that satisffy both are the points where they intersect: x= b, y= 0 and x= 0, y= 0.

4. Mar 3, 2009 #3
    My question is that when I have to solve a non-linear and/or linear system of equations, then what is the most efficient way of doing it, and when I am I allowed to insert the solution that satisfies 1 of the equations into the others.

1) Yeah, the topic should have been non-linear. My mistake.

2) Yes, I guess it is overkill defining h(x,y) and g(x,y) in the first place.

3) If adding a second equation restricts the possible solutions, then how is it that in the first example in post #1 I can just insert y=0 in the second equation (i.e. the equation for g(x,y))?

Thanks for helping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook