• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Systems of Linear Equations

• Thread starter roam
  • Start date

Homework Statement

For a few problems dealing with eigenvectors, I substituted my eigenvalues into the characteristic equations. I got systems of linear equations. I need to find the general solution to the systems in order to find the corresponding eigenvectors.
For example in one problem I have to solve:

[tex]A = \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} -3&-3 \\ -4&-4 \end{array}\right][/tex] [tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc} x\\ y \end{array}\right][/tex] [tex]= \left[\begin{array}{ccccc} 0\\ 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

-3x-3y=0
-4x-4y=0

It looks as if x,y are equal. I think I might need to write one in terms of the other but I'm no sure which.

or for example the system of equations:

-x-y-z=0
-x-y-z=0
-x-y-z=0

We have 3 variables and 3 equations which are exactly the same. How do we decide which variable to use as the "free" variable?

Thanks.

Answers and Replies

dx
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Both these are easy to solve by inspection. For example, in the first one, set x = 1 and y = -1.

Pengwuino
Gold Member
It doesn't matter. In the 2nd example, you can pick x = -y-z or y = -x-z or z = -x-y. You will still have the same solution space even though the eigenvectors don't look the same.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Remember that the set of all eigenvectors corresponding to a given eigenvalue for a vector space- there is not one single solution. In fact, the condition that [itex]A-\lambda I[/itex] NOT have an inverse guarentees that your set of equation not have a single solution.

For the first, -3x-3y= 0, -4x- 4y= 0, it is not the case that "x,y are equal". Both equations are equivalent to -x-y= 0 and then y= -x, not x. Every eigenvector is of the form <x, -x> = x<1, -1>. The vector space of all eigenvectors is spanned by the single vector <1, -1>.

For the second set where every equation is of the form -x-y-z= 0 you have one equation in three variables. That means you can solve for any one in terms of the other two- it doesn't matter which you choose. For example, z= -x- y. Taking x=1, y= 0, z= -1 so <1, 0, -1> is in the space. Taking x= 0, y= 1, z= -1 so <0, 1, -1> is also in the space. Those two vectors form a basis for the space of eigenvectors.

If you had chosen instead to solve for y, y= -x- z. Now taking x=1, z= 0 gives <1, -1, 0> and taking x=0, z= 1 gives <0, -1, 1> . Those form a different basis for the same space.

If you had chosen to solve for x, x= -y- z giving <-1, 1, 0> and <-1, 0, 1>, yet another basis for the same space.