How do you find the equation of a plane given three points?

In summary, the question asks for the equation of a plane that passes through points (1,2,3), (3,-1,3), and (5,0,7). The plane can be found by solving for x, y, and z in terms of d. However, if you don't have a 0 d, you can still find the plane by multiplying through by any other number other than 0.
Nusc
The question asks: Find the equation of the plane that passes throug the points (1,2,3), (3,-1,3), and (5,0,7). (Hint: Recall that the general equation of a plane is ax + by +cz =d.)

You could make 2 vectors with those three points then find the normal by taking the cross product of those two vectors then plug them into the general equation with xo being the ___ (one point that makes them both vectors - what's the word?)

But say you had no previous knowledge of vector geometry, how would one going about doing this problem?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I suppose you'd need one more point to construct the 0 degrees of freedom linear system..
so far you got
a + 2b + 3c = d
3a -b + 3c = d
5a +0b + 7c = d

If ax + by + cz = d is the equation of the plane, then those points are solutions to the equation. You can basically set up 3 equations:

1a + 2b + 3c - 1d = 0
3a - 1b + 3c - 1d = 0
5a + 0b + 7c - 1d = 0

Row reduce the corresponding matrix and you'll solve for a, b, c, and d all in terms of d (or one of the parameters). And of course, there won't be a unique solution, the solution will indeed be in terms of d since

x + y + z = 1

and

2x + 2y + 2z = 2

describe the same plane.

Well the answer is 3x + 2y - 2z = 1, which I obtained using methods of vector geometry but when I solve the linear system I'm left with
[tex]\mbox {~}\left[\begin{array}{ccc|r}1&0&0&3\\0&1&0&2\\0&0&1&-2\end{array}\right][/tex]

How do you get d?

Last edited:
You should have a (3 x 4)-matrix with a (3 x 1)-matrix of zeroes augmented on the end. Note that you have 3 equations and 4 unknowns.

Nusc said:
Well the answer is 3x + 2y - 2z = 1, which I obtained using methods of vector geometry but when I solve the linear system I'm left with
[tex]\mbox {~}\left[\begin{array}{ccc|r}1&0&0&3\\0&1&0&2\\0&0&1&-2\end{array}\right][/tex]

How do you get d?

You don't get d! As you were told before, the form ax+by+cz= d is not unique. You can divide or multiply the entire equation by any number (other than 0) to get a different equation for the same plane. In particular, as long as d is not 0 you can divide through by it to get an equation of the form Ax+ By+ Cz= 1 (A= a/d, B= b/d, C= c/d). If start by assuming that form, you get your answer.

1. What is a system of linear equations?

A system of linear equations is a set of two or more linear equations that are solved together to find a common solution. Each equation in the system contains the same variables, and the goal is to find values for these variables that make all of the equations true at the same time.

2. How do you solve a system of linear equations?

There are several methods for solving a system of linear equations, including substitution, elimination, and graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equations and their variables to isolate a single variable and find its value, then using that value to solve for the other variables.

3. Can a system of linear equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of linear equations can have one, many, or no solutions. If the equations are consistent (they have at least one common solution), they can have infinitely many solutions if one of the variables can take on any value. If the equations are inconsistent (they have no common solution), they have no solutions.

4. How do you graph a system of linear equations?

To graph a system of linear equations, you can plot the individual equations on the same coordinate plane and look for the point(s) where the lines intersect. This point represents the solution to the system of equations.

5. What are real-world applications of systems of linear equations?

Systems of linear equations are used in many real-world situations, such as budget planning, business optimization, and engineering problems. They can also be used to model and solve problems in physics, chemistry, and economics.