Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sythesis of sodium dithionite

1. Feb 23, 2015 #1
    is the following reaction right?

2 NaHSO3 + Zn → Na2S2O4 + Zn(OH)2

because i tried this reaction but i m not getting any Na2S2O4. I got this reaction in wikipedia. And i found another reaction in the net which is following:

2 NaHSO3 + H2SO3 + Zn ─→ ZnSO3 + Na2S2O4 + 2 H2O

Which one is right? Plz anyone can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Have you checked what the document (from which the wikipedia reactions is taken) says about reaction conditions?

4. Feb 24, 2015 #3
    No condition is stated there. plz can u help me with more information. Thanks.

5. Feb 24, 2015 #4

Borek

Sorry, I can't help you - but I am rather surprised by your statement. The document I fetched, while incomplete, says a lot about how this reaction is performed.

6. Feb 24, 2015 #5
    Really, where did u get that. I did find some information about the second reaction, but that is confusing. I did not find any information about the first. If u got any information plz help me with that. I need that for my project. Thanks.

7. Feb 24, 2015 #6

Borek

Have you checked the references? The equation is listed as coming for a paper published in 1929, and there is a link to this paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook