1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T = 64/(165+3n) finite sum

1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I want a general equation for the finite sum of n0 + n1 + n2... starting at n = 0 for the equation t = 64/(165+3n) so i have a sum of numbers: 64/165 + 64/168 + 64/171...

i don't want you to think i am lazy and don't show work but this isn't for school. i want to figure out how much time having passed on a very long recording of a metronome corresponds to the beats per minute being played.

1 bar = 4 beats
    start at 55% of 300 beats per minute
    after 16 bars have passed it starts over but 3 beats per minute are added to the speed.
    so it goes from 165 beats per minute to 168 to 171...

i could just add them all up and make a little reference table but i am determined now to understand how to solve this problem!

2. Relevant equations

t = 64/(165+3n)

3. The attempt at a solution

my attempts are all useless.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    Can you express it as:
    [tex]\frac{64}{3}\sum_{n=0}^{i}\frac{1}{55+n}[/tex]
    Such that :
    [tex]i \geq n[/tex]
    [tex]i \in\mathbb{Z}^{+}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  4. Nov 12, 2009 #3

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

So when you say "finite" sum, are you summing a finite amount of terms, or summing an infinite number of terms but want a finite result? Because the sum is actually divergent ie it does not sum to any finite number.

If you are however summing a finite number of terms, even a large amount, it can be done exactly by some Mathematics Program such as Maple or Mathematica, or approximated quite well with some simple analysis.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook