Understanding Probability: A Review of Elementary Concepts for Scientists

And, if this is a homework problem, you probably should not be relying so heavily on an internet site for the answer).You need to go back and review elementary probability. The question you are asking has nothing at all to do with whether you are dealing with the t-distribution, the normal distribution or any other continuous distribution at all.I am not going to answer the question, because that would be a violation of PF policy. But, I am serious: you need to review some very, very basic material. (And, if this is a homework problem, you probably should not be relying so heavily on an internet site for the answer).
tzx9633

Homework Statement

I'm asked to find the P (T < ?? ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005
2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

From the table , we could notice that P (T > 2.779) , v= 26 , α = 0.005 ,
So , i think the ans should be P (T < -2.779 ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005 ,

But the ans is P (T < 2.779) , why ?
Is the ans wrong ?

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 359
Physics news on Phys.org
tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

Is the ans wrong ?

I depends on what the "##\alpha = 0.005##" is supposed to mean.

If you are performing a right-tail test you would want an upper-tail probability of no more than 0.005, so you would be seeking ##t_R## giving ##P(T > t_R) = 0.005##, or ##P(T < t_R) = 0.995##. However, if you are performing a left-tail test you want a value of ##t_L## giving ##P(T < t_L) = 0.005##. So, you are being asked to find either ##t_R## or ##t_L##. Your included diagram and table assume a right-tail test.

Last edited:
Likes tzx9633
tzx9633 said:

Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

Is the ans wrong ?
Just look at the table in the intersection of the row for ##\alpha=0.005 ## and ##v=26##, it gives you precisely the value ##2.779##. What is the question?

Likes tzx9633
Ray Vickson said:
I depends on what the "##\alpha = 0.005##" is supposed to mean.

If you are performing a right-tail test you would want an upper-tail probability of no more than 0.005, so you would be seeking ##t_R## giving ##P(T > t_R) = 0.005##, or ##P(T < t_R) = 0.995##. However, if you are performing a left-tail test you want a value of ##t_L## giving ##P(T < t_L) = 0.005##. So, you are being asked to find either ##t_R## or ##t_L##. Your included diagram and table assume a right-tail test.
Yes , the table is for right tail test . I am provided with this table and I'm asked this question . So , the ans should be P (T < -2.779) , am i right ?

WWGD said:
Just look at the table in the intersection of the row for ##\alpha=0.005 ## and ##v=26##, it gives you precisely the value ##2.779##. What is the question?
the question is find
P (T < ?? ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005

tzx9633 said:
the question is find
P (T < ?? ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005
That is badly stated: ##\alpha = 0.005## refers to the test, so that you want to find a critical value ##t_c## such that ##P(T > t_c) =0.005##. If you are being asked to solve
$$ P(T < ?) = 0.005$$
that is a completely different issue.

Likes tzx9633
Ray Vickson said:
That is badly stated: ##\alpha = 0.005## refers to the test, so that you want to find a critical value ##t_c## such that ##P(T > t_c) =0.005##. If you are being asked to solve
$$ P(T < ?) = 0.005$$
that is a completely different issue.
Back to the question , should the ans be P (T < -2.779)?

tzx9633 said:
Back to the question , should the ans be P (T < -2.779)?
You tell me; it is your question, on your homework.

Likes tzx9633
tzx : If I understand correctly, you are asking which numerical value , in a t-distribution with ##v=26## will give you a probability ##\alpha =0.05 ## or less. May I suggest a rephrase :
Find a value T in a t-distribution with ##v=26##, so that ##P(t<T) < 0.05 ## ?

Likes tzx9633
WWGD said:
tzx : If I understand correctly, you are asking which numerical value , in a t-distribution with ##v=26## will give you a probability ##\alpha =0.05 ## or less. May I suggest a rephrase :
Find a value T in a t-distribution with ##v=26##, so that ##P(t<T) < 0.05 ## ?
ok , thanks , the question now is changed to : Find a value T in a t-distribution with ##v=26##, so that ##P(t<T) < 0.05 ## ?

So , the ans is P (T < -2.779) ??

This is a sort of reverse of the standard problem of finding the probability ##P(T<t)##, where T is known. Instead, you find to find the value ##T ## so that the probability is less than ##\alpha =0.05## . Can you look at your table and take it from there?

WWGD said:
This is a sort of reverse of the standard problem of finding the probability ##P(T<t)##, where T is known. Instead, you find to find the value ##T ## so that the probability is less than ##\alpha =0.05## . Can you look at your table and take it from there?
No , the table provided is for ##P(T>t)## , for ##P(T<t)## i am not sure , i just want to verify my concept , can i use ##P(T<-2.279)## ?

tzx9633 said:
No , the table provided is for ##P(T>t)## , for ##P(T<t)## i am not sure , i just want to verify my concept , can i use ##P(T<-2.279)## ?

Are you saying that if you know ##P(T > w) = p## you cannot figure out how to find ##P(T < w)?##

Ray Vickson said:
Are you saying that if you know ##P(T > w) = p## you cannot figure out how to find ##P(T < w)?##
yes , i am only familiar with normal distribution , but not sure about t -distribution , can i do so for the t-distribution ?

tzx9633 said:
yes , i am only familiar with normal distribution , but not sure about t -distribution , can i do so for the t-distribution ?

You need to go back and review elementary probability. The question you are asking has nothing at all to do with whether you are dealing with the t-distribution, the normal distribution or any other continuous distribution at all.

I am not going to answer the question, because that would be a violation of PF policy. But, I am serious: you need to review some very, very basic material.

1. What is a T-distribution and how is it different from a normal distribution?

A T-distribution is a probability distribution that is used to model the variability of a sample mean when the sample size is small or when the population standard deviation is unknown. It is different from a normal distribution in that it has heavier tails and a flatter peak, making it more suitable for smaller sample sizes.

2. How do I know when to use a T-distribution instead of a normal distribution?

You should use a T-distribution when you have a small sample size (typically less than 30) or when the population standard deviation is unknown. If you have a larger sample size and know the population standard deviation, a normal distribution is more appropriate.

3. What is the purpose of the degrees of freedom in a T-distribution?

The degrees of freedom in a T-distribution represent the number of independent observations in a sample. The smaller the sample size, the fewer degrees of freedom, and the more spread out the T-distribution will be.

4. Can a T-distribution be used for hypothesis testing?

Yes, a T-distribution can be used for hypothesis testing, particularly when the sample size is small and the population standard deviation is unknown. It is commonly used in place of a normal distribution when these conditions are met.

5. Is a T-distribution the same as a Student's t-distribution?

Yes, a T-distribution is also known as a Student's t-distribution. It was first introduced by William Sealy Gosset, who used the pseudonym "Student" when publishing his work. This is why it is commonly referred to as a Student's t-distribution.