1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: T- distribution confusion

1. Nov 24, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm asked to find the P (T < ?? ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    From the table , we could notice that P (T > 2.779) , v= 26 , α = 0.005 ,
    So , i think the ans should be P (T < -2.779 ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005 ,

But the ans is P (T < 2.779) , why ?
    Is the ans wrong ?

Attached Files:

• t.jpg
      t.jpg
      File size:
      57.2 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I depends on what the "##\alpha = 0.005##" is supposed to mean.

If you are performing a right-tail test you would want an upper-tail probability of no more than 0.005, so you would be seeking ##t_R## giving ##P(T > t_R) = 0.005##, or ##P(T < t_R) = 0.995##. However, if you are performing a left-tail test you want a value of ##t_L## giving ##P(T < t_L) = 0.005##. So, you are being asked to find either ##t_R## or ##t_L##. Your included diagram and table assume a right-tail test.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  4. Nov 24, 2017 #3

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just look at the table in the intersection of the row for ##\alpha=0.005 ## and ##v=26##, it gives you precisely the value ##2.779##. What is the question?

5. Nov 25, 2017 #4
    Yes , the table is for right tail test . I am provided with this table and i'm asked this question . So , the ans should be P (T < -2.779) , am i right ?

6. Nov 25, 2017 #5
    the question is find
    P (T < ?? ) , v= 26 , α = 0.005

7. Nov 26, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is badly stated: ##\alpha = 0.005## refers to the test, so that you want to find a critical value ##t_c## such that ##P(T > t_c) =0.005##. If you are being asked to solve
    $$ P(T < ?) = 0.005$$
    that is a completely different issue.

8. Nov 26, 2017 #7
    Back to the question , should the ans be P (T < -2.779)???

9. Nov 26, 2017 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You tell me; it is your question, on your homework.

10. Nov 26, 2017 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

tzx : If I understand correctly, you are asking which numerical value , in a t-distribution with ##v=26## will give you a probability ##\alpha =0.05 ## or less. May I suggest a rephrase :
    Find a value T in a t-distribution with ##v=26##, so that ##P(t<T) < 0.05 ## ?

11. Nov 26, 2017 #10
    ok , thanks , the question now is changed to : Find a value T in a t-distribution with ##v=26##, so that ##P(t<T) < 0.05 ## ?

So , the ans is P (T < -2.779) ??

12. Nov 26, 2017 #11

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a sort of reverse of the standard problem of finding the probability ##P(T<t)##, where T is known. Instead, you find to find the value ##T ## so that the probability is less than ##\alpha =0.05## . Can you look at your table and take it from there?

13. Nov 26, 2017 #12
    No , the table provided is for ##P(T>t)## , for ##P(T<t)## i am not sure , i just want to verify my concept , can i use ##P(T<-2.279)## ?

14. Nov 26, 2017 #13

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you saying that if you know ##P(T > w) = p## you cannot figure out how to find ##P(T < w)?##

15. Nov 27, 2017 #14
    yes , i am only familiar with normal distribution , but not sure about t -distribution , can i do so for the t-distribution ?

16. Nov 27, 2017 #15

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You need to go back and review elementary probability. The question you are asking has nothing at all to do with whether you are dealing with the t-distribution, the normal distribution or any other continuous distribution at all.

I am not going to answer the question, because that would be a violation of PF policy. But, I am serious: you need to review some very, very basic material.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted