T/F Physics Homework Questions

• Thread starter Eddie10
  • Start date
Can someone check these for accuracy please?

1. Homework Statement

1. Light really passes through the position of a real image whether or not a screen, film, or ground glass is there to catch it.

2. You need a screen or ground glass to make a virtual image visible.

3. In a multi-lens system the image of each lens becomes the object for the next lends downstream.

4.Microscopes and telescopes for visual use provide a real image for the user to look at.

5. Virtual objects and virtual images have negative object and image distances, respectively.

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations needed that I think of to answer these questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, these are my answers

1. T

2. F

3. T

4. T

5. T

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

2. Are you sure you can put a screen/... at the position of a virtual image and see something?
4. What about virtual images?

For number 2, I think it is false, and you don't need a screen, or other surface for a virtual image because from my class lecture, the prof said that compacts can be used to create virtual images, and if you stand a certain length away from the compact, you will see a virtual image of your face appear in thin air. However, this reasoning is not scientific by any means, and I'd like a hint that leads me to the correct concept.

For number 4, I think it is false as well, because microscopes and telescopes magnify, so they present virtual images from real images that we examine. The images are enlarged through the lens system of each respective instrument. Right?

Last edited:
and if you stand a certain length away from the compact, you will see a virtual image of your face appear in thin air.
I don't think this is meant with "make visible".

Check what "real" and "virtual" mean for images. They have a very special meaning in optics.

Will do, thanks!