1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T/F Physics Homework Questions

1. Oct 19, 2014 #1
    Can someone check these for accuracy please?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. Light really passes through the position of a real image whether or not a screen, film, or ground glass is there to catch it.

2. You need a screen or ground glass to make a virtual image visible.

3. In a multi-lens system the image of each lens becomes the object for the next lends downstream.

4.Microscopes and telescopes for visual use provide a real image for the user to look at.

5. Virtual objects and virtual images have negative object and image distances, respectively.

2. Relevant equations
    There are no relevant equations needed that I think of to answer these questions.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, these are my answers

1. T

2. F

3. T

4. T

5. T

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

2. Are you sure you can put a screen/... at the position of a virtual image and see something?
    4. What about virtual images?

4. Oct 19, 2014 #3
    For number 2, I think it is false, and you don't need a screen, or other surface for a virtual image because from my class lecture, the prof said that compacts can be used to create virtual images, and if you stand a certain length away from the compact, you will see a virtual image of your face appear in thin air. However, this reasoning is not scientific by any means, and I'd like a hint that leads me to the correct concept.

For number 4, I think it is false as well, because microscopes and telescopes magnify, so they present virtual images from real images that we examine. The images are enlarged through the lens system of each respective instrument. Right?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  5. Oct 20, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't think this is meant with "make visible".

Check what "real" and "virtual" mean for images. They have a very special meaning in optics.

6. Oct 20, 2014 #5
    Will do, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted