Thank you!Is my understanding of T-invariant subspaces correct?

• Thread starter quasar_4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
In summary, the conversation discusses t-invariant subspaces and their significance in linear transformations. It is established that any basis for a subspace can be extended to a basis for the entire vector space, and that a T-invariant subspace can exist within the same vector space or between different vector spaces. Examples are given of invariant subspaces, such as the set of polynomials and exponential functions, and it is noted that eigen spaces and generalized eigenspaces are also invariant subspaces. The importance of T-invariant subspaces lies in the fact that they are preserved by the linear transformation, allowing for a restriction to a linear map on the subspace.
quasar_4
Hello,

can anyone tell me if I understand this right? :rolleyes:

I have a t-invariant subspace with basis B, and I extend the basis B to be a basis B' for the entire vector space by adding L.I. vectors to it. Then I put B under a linear transformation, T:V --> V, and I will get a set of vectors in the range of T that generates W in that space, i.e. R(T) = span (T(B)). But since the subspace (let's call it v) of V is T-invariant, then the vectors I end up with in R(T) are also in the subspace (minus the ones we added to extend the basis). Is that correct?

Also, can something only be T-invariant if it's a mapping within the same vector space? Can subspace v of V be t-invariant if the transformation is T: V --> W? I'm not sure if that makes sense, because the generating set in the R(T) couldn't be generating the same subset as in V.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is remarkably hard to read!

You have a vector space V and a linear transformation T:V-->V with invariant subspace what? W? "Then I put B under a linear transformation, T:V-->V" Is this the same T as for the "t-invarient subspace"?

Given a vector space V, a linear transformation T, and a T-invariant subspace U, yes, it is true that any basis for W can be extended to a basis for V. If W is the image of V under T: W= R(T), then clearly V must be a subspace of W. is that what you are asking?

U can be an invariant subspace for a linear transformation T:V-->W provided that U is in both V and W. For example, let V be all triples (x,y,0), W be all triples (0, y, z) and T(x,y,0)= (0, y, x). Then U= all triples of the form (0, y, 0) is a T- invariant subspace.

Sorry, I suppose that was a mouthful... :yuck:

I am still just confused about t-invariance, I guess. What about this is significant? Apparently it's going to be important later on (according to my course instructor), but I'm having trouble understanding what t-invariant means beyond the formal definition.

Let V be the vector space of differentiable functions from R to R and T be differentiation. Then P(x) the set of polys is an invariant subspace, E(x) the subspace spanned by the exponential function is an invariant subspace.

Eigen spaces are invariant subspaces. Generalized eigenspaces are invariant subspaces. Subspaces preserved by T are good because T restricts to a linear map on the subspace.

1. What is a T-invariant subspace?

A T-invariant subspace is a subset of a vector space that remains unchanged under the action of a linear transformation T. In other words, if the subspace contains a vector v, then T applied to v will also be in the subspace.

2. How do you determine if a subspace is T-invariant?

In order to determine if a subspace is T-invariant, you must check if every vector in the subspace remains in the subspace after being multiplied by T. This can be done by checking if the subspace is closed under T, meaning that for any vector v in the subspace, T(v) is also in the subspace.

3. Can a T-invariant subspace have a basis other than the standard basis?

Yes, a T-invariant subspace can have a basis other than the standard basis. As long as the basis vectors remain in the subspace after being multiplied by T, the subspace will remain T-invariant.

4. What is the importance of T-invariant subspaces?

T-invariant subspaces are important in linear algebra because they help us understand the structure of a linear transformation. They also allow us to decompose a vector space into smaller, more manageable subspaces that are easier to analyze.

5. Can a vector space have more than one T-invariant subspace?

Yes, a vector space can have multiple T-invariant subspaces. This will depend on the specific linear transformation and the properties of the vector space. In some cases, a vector space may even have an infinite number of T-invariant subspaces.