1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: T-Invariant Subspaces

1. Jun 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that W is a T-invariant subspace of T for:
    W = E[tex]_{\lambda}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so I know that I need to show that T maps every element in E[tex]_{\lambda}[/tex] to .

E[tex]_{\lambda}[/tex] = N(T-[tex]\lambda[/tex]I)

so T must map every eigenvector related to [tex]\lambda[/tex] to another eigenvector in E[tex]_{\lambda}[/tex]

T(x) maps to zero vector, when x is an eigenvector associated with [tex]\lambda[/tex] which is in the eigenspace of [tex]\lambda[/tex], correct?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2010 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your post is just a huge blank space where you messed up the tex for making a lambda. Can you edit it?

4. Jun 4, 2010 #3
    fixed

5. Jun 4, 2010 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok I get it now. [tex]E^{\lambda}[/tex] is the set of all eigenvectors with eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex]. Let's say v is an eigenvector, and [tex] Tv=\lambda v[/tex]. What is [tex]T(\lambda v)[/tex] and how does this help you answer the question?

6. Jun 4, 2010 #5
    T([tex]\lambda[/tex]v) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]2v

and this is just a multiple of T, so T(v) = [tex]\lambda[/tex]v maps to the eigenspace?

7. Jun 4, 2010 #6
    and another question...

Show that W is a T-invariant subspace when

W = N(T)

So N(T) : { x E W: T(x) = 0} , since W is a subspace it contains the zero vector, thus any vector in N(T) will map to zero which is in W?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook