Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T.V. Snake oil sellers

1. Jan 5, 2007 #1
    How is it possible that the United States is about the only country that allows these drug ("snake oil sellers) advertisements on T. V.? They are of insignificant value to the general viewer. How do other countries ban such a nuisance. I would suggest that we contact these T. V. stations and voice a very strong protest. :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean the diet pill companies that just got fined by the FDA or whoever?

4. Jan 5, 2007 #3
    How much of what you watch on TV is of significant value?

5. Jan 5, 2007 #4

berkeman

Depends on what you watch! Like, tomorrow night LIVE on SPEED TV (7PM PST), the AMA Supercross season kicks off with Anaheim-1

http://www.sxgp.com/

Woo-hoo! Where's that dancing banana smiley thing....? :biggrin:

6. Jan 5, 2007 #5

verty

Homework Helper

You must take the good with the bad...

7. Jan 5, 2007 #6
    Damn, I don't get that channel :cry:

Haha are you a member of DRN forums by any chance? I love the dancing banana haha.

8. Jan 5, 2007 #7

berkeman

No, but I've been berkeman on thumpertalk.com for a long time. Go Ricky!!

9. Jan 5, 2007 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The people who buy these things don't think they're a nuisance. I'd like to protest about all the freakin' sports on TV. Now that's a nuisance.

Why do snake oil salesmen they continue to do business? Because our prospering society increasingly has discretionary if not disposable cash. For the most part, our survival needs are taken care of, one way or another. The next need on some people's list is vanity.

10. Jan 5, 2007 #9
    I mean these "doctor related drugs" that I can't pronounce--they are banned from TV in almost all other countries.

11. Jan 5, 2007 #10

Evo

What are "doctor related drugs"? And how do you know they are banned from TV in other countries? Where are you getting this information?

12. Jan 5, 2007 #11

ShawnD

Science Advisor

A lot of stuff on TV does in fact work in some way, but infomercials tell half-truth. For example, I remember an infomercial for CalMax which is just calcium and magnesium. The guy (real doctor) was saying all these great things calcium does and he included sleeping, strong bones, something about muscles, and a few other things. Everything he said is loosely based on reality in some way, but what you're not told is that having a problem with one of the above may be caused by something other than a lack of <product>.

As an example of this half-truth idea, suppose you have low energy all the time. Caffeine gives people energy; therefore, your lack of energy is caused by a lack of caffeine. Buy my caffeine pills.

Other products that do absolutely nothing are not actually promised as doing anything. This mostly applies to penis and hair growth. Selling these on TV is no more illegal than selling things in stores that are not regulated as "drugs". I'll name drop St. John's Wort as an example. I don't really know if SJW does anything, but in the eyes of the law, selling snake oil is the same as selling SJW.

13. Jan 5, 2007 #12
    What do you ride?

14. Jan 5, 2007 #13

berkeman

[parallel_hijack]

I'm on an '03 CRF450R, AMA #353. My son berkeboy is on an '05 KX-85, AMA #712. And yes, he is faster than me in some places. Sigh. :rolleyes:

BTW, even if you don't get the SPEED TV channel, you can follow that link that I posted and get the live webcast audio. I've found it pretty hard to follow a motocross/supercross race with just audio, though.

[/parallel_hijack]

15. Jan 5, 2007 #14

berkeman

I'm with Evo on this -- what in the world are you talking about? Real drug commercials in the US have all kinds of extra words in them to warn of the side effects and contra-indications. Could you please provide some specific examples?

16. Jan 5, 2007 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Canadian ones are way worse. I don't think they're legally allowed to say what the product does (hypochondriacs + free health care = huge waste of money). You'll see some grassy field with music then it says "ask your doctor about Vioxx". Well what the hell is Vioxx? What does it do? Nobody knows.

17. Jan 5, 2007 #16

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Vioxx (rofecoxib): a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for the treatment of osteoarthritis symptoms and pain.

Vioxx is its brand name (like Aspirin). rofecoxib is its generic compound name (like ASA).

Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean it's a scam.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  18. Jan 5, 2007 #17

berkeman

19. Jan 5, 2007 #18
    :rofl: Everyone knows what Vioxx is! It's that COX-2 inhibitor that got recalled after causing excess deaths. Huge scandal.

Rofecoxib

20. Jan 5, 2007 #19
    err, was. :uhh:

21. Jan 5, 2007 #20
    The google ads for this thread made me laugh out loud!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?