T.V. Snake oil sellers

• Thread starter DocN
  • Start date

DocN

How is it possible that the United States is about the only country that allows these drug ("snake oil sellers) advertisements on T. V.? They are of insignificant value to the general viewer. How do other countries ban such a nuisance. I would suggest that we contact these T. V. stations and voice a very strong protest. :yuck:

berkeman

Mentor
Do you mean the diet pill companies that just got fined by the FDA or whoever?

They (drug ads) are of insignificant value to the general viewer. ... I would suggest that we contact these T. V. stations and voice a very strong protest.
How much of what you watch on TV is of significant value?

berkeman

Mentor
How much of what you watch on TV is of significant value?
Depends on what you watch! Like, tomorrow night LIVE on SPEED TV (7PM PST), the AMA Supercross season kicks off with Anaheim-1

http://www.sxgp.com/

Woo-hoo! Where's that dancing banana smiley thing....? :biggrin:

verty

Homework Helper
You must take the good with the bad...

berkeman

Mentor
Haha are you a member of DRN forums by any chance? I love the dancing banana haha.
No, but I've been berkeman on thumpertalk.com for a long time. Go Ricky!!

DaveC426913

Gold Member
How is it possible that the United States is about the only country that allows these drug ("snake oil sellers) advertisements on T. V.? They are of insignificant value to the general viewer. How do other countries ban such a nuisance. I would suggest that we contact these T. V. stations and voice a very strong protest. :yuck:
The people who buy these things don't think they're a nuisance. I'd like to protest about all the freakin' sports on TV. Now that's a nuisance.

Why do snake oil salesmen they continue to do business? Because our prospering society increasingly has discretionary if not disposable cash. For the most part, our survival needs are taken care of, one way or another. The next need on some people's list is vanity.

DocN

I mean these "doctor related drugs" that I can't pronounce--they are banned from TV in almost all other countries.

Evo

Mentor
I mean these "doctor related drugs" that I can't pronounce--they are banned from TV in almost all other countries.
What are "doctor related drugs"? And how do you know they are banned from TV in other countries? Where are you getting this information?

ShawnD

Science Advisor
A lot of stuff on TV does in fact work in some way, but infomercials tell half-truth. For example, I remember an infomercial for CalMax which is just calcium and magnesium. The guy (real doctor) was saying all these great things calcium does and he included sleeping, strong bones, something about muscles, and a few other things. Everything he said is loosely based on reality in some way, but what you're not told is that having a problem with one of the above may be caused by something other than a lack of <product>.

As an example of this half-truth idea, suppose you have low energy all the time. Caffeine gives people energy; therefore, your lack of energy is caused by a lack of caffeine. Buy my caffeine pills.

Other products that do absolutely nothing are not actually promised as doing anything. This mostly applies to penis and hair growth. Selling these on TV is no more illegal than selling things in stores that are not regulated as "drugs". I'll name drop St. John's Wort as an example. I don't really know if SJW does anything, but in the eyes of the law, selling snake oil is the same as selling SJW.

berkeman

Mentor
What do you ride?
[parallel_hijack]

I'm on an '03 CRF450R, AMA #353. My son berkeboy is on an '05 KX-85, AMA #712. And yes, he is faster than me in some places. Sigh. :rolleyes:

BTW, even if you don't get the SPEED TV channel, you can follow that link that I posted and get the live webcast audio. I've found it pretty hard to follow a motocross/supercross race with just audio, though.

[/parallel_hijack]

berkeman

Mentor
I'm with Evo on this -- what in the world are you talking about? Real drug commercials in the US have all kinds of extra words in them to warn of the side effects and contra-indications. Could you please provide some specific examples?

ShawnD

Science Advisor
in the US have all kinds of extra words in them to warn of the side effects and contra-indications.
Canadian ones are way worse. I don't think they're legally allowed to say what the product does (hypochondriacs + free health care = huge waste of money). You'll see some grassy field with music then it says "ask your doctor about Vioxx". Well what the hell is Vioxx? What does it do? Nobody knows.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
Canadian ones are way worse. I don't think they're legally allowed to say what the product does (hypochondriacs + free health care = huge waste of money). You'll see some grassy field with music then it says "ask your doctor about Vioxx". Well what the hell is Vioxx? What does it do? Nobody knows.
Vioxx (rofecoxib): a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) for the treatment of osteoarthritis symptoms and pain.

Vioxx is its brand name (like Aspirin). rofecoxib is its generic compound name (like ASA).

Just because you don't know what it is doesn't mean it's a scam.

Last edited:

Rach3

You'll see some grassy field with music then it says "ask your doctor about Vioxx". Well what the hell is Vioxx? What does it do? Nobody knows.
:rofl: Everyone knows what Vioxx is! It's that COX-2 inhibitor that got recalled after causing excess deaths. Huge scandal.

Rofecoxib

Rach3

Rach3

The google ads for this thread made me laugh out loud!

Rofecoxib?
FDA Study Finds Vioxx Users at Risk Contact Our Law Firm For Details.
VioxxLawyers.AudetLaw.com

PA and NJ Vioxx Lawsuits
Call our Vioxx attorneys today for help in PA/NJ on your Vioxx case.
www.brbs-vioxx.com[/URL][/quote]

Last edited by a moderator:
[parallel_hijack]

Here's a fun thread from thumpertalk about berkeboy's progress from about a year ago:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=306281

[/parallel_hijack]
Haha good thread, great that you and your son ride together. My favorite memories are of my and my dad going out for rides together. Right now I'm on a 02 KDX 220 but the way school is I hardly ever get home to ride it anymore. I might be going home to work for the summer so if I do that will occupy my days off :biggrin:

Back on topic.....my friend is a pharmacy student and she once told me about the differences between US and Canadian drug ads. It was actually pretty interesting but naturally I can't remember exactly what it was, I'll have to ask her again and post it on here.

And as far as the ads on tv, sure they are annoying but it's not like they are making you buy them. If they weren't being adverstized, the slot would be replaced by something equally useless.

DaveC426913

Gold Member
"ask your doctor about Vioxx". Well what the hell is Vioxx? What does it do? Nobody knows.
It kills people. So you can't claim that they don't know what it does. :biggrin:

DocN

I'm not including OC drugs ( most of which are ineffective--you can take "cold medicine" and your cold will last about 14 days or do not take anything, and your cold will last about two weeks). My post was about non-OC drugs (related only to doctors). How many of us know which of these we should use? Why should we be bombarded with such drug ads? Any ways this could be stopped?

ShawnD

Science Advisor
Now I'm sort of confused what you're asking. There is a huge difference between "snake oil" and prescription drugs. 99% of prescription drugs actually work. Vioxx probably does do whatever it's supposed to do, they just don't say what it does other than create random grassy fields and play soothing music. That 1% that doesn't work would be Paxil, quite possibly the most useless drug in history (opinion of course).

If you're talking about As Seen On TV type drugs, there is a way to tell which ones are legit. The bull**** ones never show the price, or the company address; they'll only show a phone number and will only accept credit cards. TV products like the Ronco Food Dehydrator will always show the company's address, the price, shipping cost, and methods of payment. Useless crap like Enzyte just shows a number and has credit card logos. Even that somewhat useful Calmax calcium suppliment clearly stated the cost of the product and how you can pay for it using cheques, money orders, and credit cards.

Also, anything that shows scenes in black and white with a red X over the screen is BS. "Are you tired of doing situps that just don't give results"; boom right there we know this product is crap. "No more starving yourself"; again, if it's black and white when it says that, the product probably doesn't work. A good product will sell itself. It doesn't need stupid zany tricks.

Last edited:

DocN

Wouldn't it be interesting, if one is prescribed some drug by a doctor, to ask, "Show me some proof that by taking this drug, my life will be extended or improved." Would the doctor be hard put to find such a demonstration?