1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: T1 topological space problem

1. Aug 17, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let X be a non empty T1 space (i.e. such one that for every two distinct points each one of them has a neighborhood which doesn't contain the other one). One needs to show that every connected subset of X, containing more than one element, is infinite.

3. The attempt at a solution

Let A be a connected subset of X containing more than one element. Assume A is finite, with cardinality k, so A = {x1, ..., xk}. Take any element from A, let's say xi. I claim that then the sets {xi} and A\{xi} are two non-empty separate sets whose union is A, which is a contradiction with the fact that A is connected. (Two sets A and B are separate if Cl(A)[tex]\cap[/tex]B = A[tex]\cap[/tex]Cl(B) = [tex]\emptyset[/tex]). The proof of this claim is the part I'm not quite sure about: Since X is T1, {xi} is a closed set, so Cl({xi})[tex]\cap[/tex]A\{xi} = [tex]\emptyset[/tex]. Now, to fulfill the other requirement for separation, I need to show that xi is not in the closure of A\{xi}. If it would be, then every neighborhood of xi would intersect A\{xi}. But then X\(A\{xi}) is a neighborhood of xi which doesn't intersect A\{xi}, so {xi}[tex]\cap[/tex]Cl(A\{xi})= [tex]\emptyset[/tex].

Perhaps there's a more easy way to prove it, but I didn't manage to do so, if this works at all.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2010 #2
    This would only contradict the fact that [itex]A[/itex] is connected if both [itex]\{x_i\}[/itex] and [itex]A\setminus\{x_i\}[/itex] were open; this is clearly not true in general.

I'd suggest trying induction. Specifically, given k distinct points [itex]x_1,\ldots,x_k[/itex] in a connected set [itex]A\subseteq X[/itex], try and find a point [itex]x_{k+1}\in A[/itex] which is distinct from all the other [itex]x_i[/itex]'s.

4. Aug 18, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

My proof is based on a theorem which states that the following statements are equivalent:

(i) X is connected
    (ii) if X is the union of two separate sets A and B, then either A or B is empty.

In our case, I have shown that A is the union of two separate non-empty sets, so it can't be connected.

Perhaps I'm really missing something here.

5. Aug 20, 2010 #4

radou

Homework Helper

Any further thoughts?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook