1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses TA work(2 courses)

1. Sep 1, 2006 #1
    Sup all,
    Are Graduate Students allowed to accept 2 TA jobs in one year?
    Is it ill-advised for 1 term?
    Thanks in Advance
    NC

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2006 #2
    As far as I know, it's prohibited at my university. Graduate students are expected to devote time to both research and teaching, and attempting to divide time between research and 2 separate classes necessarily means either a class or the research suffers in the end.

4. Sep 2, 2006 #3
    Well, I would see what the school has to say. But, what is the expected workload of the TA position? Typically it is about 20 hrs/week, but I have seen TA positions that barely take up 10 hours a week. So... it really all depends on the circumstances.

But, if you can live off of only having to work one of them, you should do that. The more time you can devote to your studies (especially in the first 2 years of grad school) the better.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?