Discover Tab for a Cause: A Charitable Way to Browse the Web!

In summary, Tab for a Cause is a browser extension which raises a small amount of money for charity every time you open a new tab. It sets itself as your new tab page and provides widgets and such. Between 1/10th and 1/3rd of a cent are raised for a single tab.
Wakarimasen
Greetings all.

Yesterday I was introduced to Tab for a Cause through Nerdfighteria.
Tab for a Cause is a browser extension which raises a small amount of money for charity every time you open a new tab. It sets itself as your new tab page and provides widgets and such. Between 1/10th and 1/3rd of a cent are raised for a single tab. Some quotes from the FAQ:

"There are a couple banner advertisements in the corner each time you open a New Tab. We get paid for these advertisements, and then give all the profits to charities that partner with us. Tab for a Cause is free to use and always will be."

"No matter what our costs are, we give at least half of our revenue to charity. Historically we’ve given upwards of 90%. We use the rest of the revenue for two purposes: (1) to cover costs, which include hosting/server costs and food for our team; and (2) to reinvest in getting more Tabbers so that we can give more to charity in the long term."

You are able to select a general subject area to donate to, with specific charities attached to these subjects.

Human rights
Human Rights Watch, International Peace Institute and The Foundation to Decrease Worldsuck.

Water
Water.org

Education
Room to Read and Educate!

Health
Save the Children, Action Against Hunger and Diabetes Hands Foundation

The Environment
Conservation International

Even if you are not actively using your web browser, you can use a timed refresh browser extension to kind of beat the system. Every time you refresh the Tab for a Cause homepage it generates funds. I'd call it cheating, but it's money for charity, although I'm not sure how power/internet cost effective this method is.

Tab for a Cause has a group system, such that a communities can compete with others, and view their collective impact. Perhaps we could create a group for the forum?

Anyway, here's the link.
http://www.tabforacause.org/home/

Another way, other than opening tabs, to generate funds is to introduce new users. You can use the below link to generate more free money for me to donate if you become an active user. I encourage you to use someone's crediting link, it doesn't have to be mine. I also encourage you to introduce others to Tab for a Cause if you start using it.
http://tabforacause.org?r=11064261

Edit- Using multiple tabs and automated refreshing, I've found I'm able to generate around 13 tab loads in one minute. At minimum worth (0.1) theoretically I could generate $18.72 in 24 hours, and at maximum (0.33) I could generate $62.40.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like an interesting idea. Thanks for sharing!

1. What is the purpose of Discover Tab for a Cause?

Discover Tab for a Cause is a browser extension that allows users to raise money for various charities simply by browsing the web. It combines the act of browsing with the act of giving back, making it a convenient and effortless way to support various causes.

2. How does Discover Tab for a Cause work?

Once the extension is installed, every time you open a new tab in your browser, you will see a beautiful photo and a small ad. The revenue generated from these ads is then donated to the charity of your choice. You can choose from a list of over 30 different charities, ranging from environmental causes to social justice initiatives.

3. Is Discover Tab for a Cause safe to use?

Yes, Discover Tab for a Cause is completely safe to use. The extension does not collect any personal information from users and does not track your browsing history. The only data that is collected is the amount of money raised for each charity, which is displayed on the Discover Tab for a Cause website.

4. Can I choose which charity my funds go towards?

Yes, with Discover Tab for a Cause, you have the option to select which charity you want to support. You can change your chosen charity at any time by clicking on the extension's settings and selecting a new charity from the list.

5. Are there any costs associated with using Discover Tab for a Cause?

No, there are no costs associated with using Discover Tab for a Cause. The extension is completely free to download and use. The revenue generated from the ads is what is donated to the chosen charities, so you can support a cause without spending any money.