Table Error in LaTeX: Troubleshooting Solutions

In summary, the conversation discusses generating a table using LaTeX code and the issue encountered with using square brackets for units. A solution is provided for this issue using [0ex] at the end of the first line of the table. Other solutions, such as using math mode or curly braces, are also suggested.
Rajini
dear all..
I use the following code to generate a table...to my eyes i think no error..but still i get error..
Code:
\begin{table}[h]
\caption{some fitting.}\label{tab:fit}
\vspace{3mm}
\centering
\begin{tabular}[width=1\linewidth]{llll}
\hline\hline
Wavenumber & FWHM        & Area        & Force constant\\
[cm$^{-1}$]  & [cm$^{-1}$] & [cm$^{-2}$] &   [N~m$^{-1}$]\\
\hline
19 & 1   & 1 & 5.9 \\
230 & 3 & 17 & 57.2 \\
2 & 1    & 23 & 7.8 \\
35 & 15 & 37 & 12.4 \\
314 & 30 & 3 & 121.2 \\
43 & 13.9 & 1  & 4.2 \\
\hline\hline
\end{tabular}
\end{table}
But i can get the table only if i don't use the box brackets [ ] for the unit just below wavelength..when i make box bracket around the unit i always get error..
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rajini,

Rajini said:
dear all..
I use the following code to generate a table...to my eyes i think no error..but still i get error..
Code:
\begin{table}[h]
\vspace{3mm}
\centering
\hline\hline
\hline
19 & 1   & 1 & 5.9 \\
230 & 3 & 17 & 57.2 \\
2 & 1    & 23 & 7.8 \\
35 & 15 & 37 & 12.4 \\
314 & 30 & 3 & 121.2 \\
43 & 13.9 & 1  & 4.2 \\
\hline\hline
\end{tabular}
\end{table}
But i can get the table only if i don't use the box brackets [ ] for the unit just below wavelength..when i make box bracket around the unit i always get error..
thanks

Take a look at the output from this table, that has [5ex] at the end of the first line of the table:

Code:
\begin{table}[h]
\centering
\hline\hline
19 & 1   & 1 & 5.9 \\[5ex]
230 & 3 & 17 & 57.2 \\
2 & 1    & 23 & 7.8 \\
35 & 15 & 37 & 12.4 \\
314 & 30 & 3 & 121.2 \\
43 & 13.9 & 1  & 4.2 \\
\hline\hline
\end{tabular}
\end{table}

When an expression in square brackets is at the end of a line, it is a way of telling LaTeX that you want extra spacing before the next line. But since your next line begins with square brackets, LaTeX thinks you are trying to do the same thing and gives an error. There are several things you can do, but probably the easiest is just put [0ex] at the end of the first line of your table like this:

Code:
\begin{table}[h]
\vspace{3mm}
\centering
\hline\hline
Wavenumber & FWHM        & Area        & Force constant\\[0ex]
\hline
19 & 1   & 1 & 5.9 \\
230 & 3 & 17 & 57.2 \\
2 & 1    & 23 & 7.8 \\
35 & 15 & 37 & 12.4 \\
314 & 30 & 3 & 121.2 \\
43 & 13.9 & 1  & 4.2 \\
\hline\hline
\end{tabular}
\end{table}

Hi thanks for your reply!.
actually i made some tables successfully...but for units i use the same as above..but first cell in unit row will be empty so i was fine with my table...but this is my first time making a table with units start from the first cell of the row..so i got this peculiar error...
anyway i will correct according to your idea..
thanks again

Getting special symbols in your generated document can be nasty in LaTeX.

Solution #1: Do it in math mode.
Code:
\hline\hline
$[\text{cm}^{-1}]$  & $[\text{cm}^{-1}]$ & $[\text{cm}^{-2}]$ & $[\text{N~m}^{-1}]$ \\
\hline

Solution #2: Use curly braces to escape the square brackets (backslash square bracket doesn't work):
Code:
\hline\hline
{[}cm$^{-1}${]}  & {[}cm$^{-1}${]} & {[}cm$^{-2}${]} &   {[}N~m$^{-1}${]}\\
\hline

Yes DH..
seems like latex provides several options...!
will try them
thanks

Hi both of you,
[0ex] is simple to use..
It worked well..
thanks

1. What is a "Table Error" in LaTeX?

A "Table Error" in LaTeX refers to an issue that occurs when creating or formatting a table in a LaTeX document. This can include errors with the table structure, alignment, or content, which can result in the table not displaying properly or causing unexpected errors.

2. How can I fix a Table Error in LaTeX?

There are several troubleshooting solutions for fixing Table Errors in LaTeX, depending on the specific error. Some common solutions include checking the table structure for any missing or incorrect formatting commands, ensuring all columns and rows are properly aligned, and checking for any typos or incorrect syntax in the table code.

3. Why is my table not displaying correctly in LaTeX?

There could be several reasons why a table is not displaying correctly in LaTeX. Some common causes include incorrect table formatting, missing or incorrect packages, or conflicts with other code in the document. It is important to carefully check the table code and troubleshoot any potential issues to resolve the display error.

4. Can I use a table template or package to avoid Table Errors in LaTeX?

Yes, using a table template or package can help prevent Table Errors in LaTeX. These templates and packages provide pre-formatted tables with correct structure and alignment, which can save time and reduce the likelihood of errors. However, it is still important to carefully check and adjust the table as needed to ensure it meets your specific needs.

5. Are there any online resources for troubleshooting Table Errors in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many online resources available for troubleshooting Table Errors in LaTeX. These can include forums, blogs, and guides with tips and solutions for fixing common table errors. It can also be helpful to consult official documentation for the specific table package or template being used, as they may have specific troubleshooting advice.