Changing Variables in a Table: Solving Unknown Formulas

In summary, the problem involves a known table with three variables and a known answer, with the goal of changing one variable using a specific formula. The table provides percentages for different ratios, and the task is to find the values for each percentage when the variable v3 is changed to 51/9. However, without a thorough understanding of the physical system represented by the table, it is difficult to predict what the resulting table would be using only mathematics. This may require knowledge in mechanical engineering.
ny553
problem:

have a table (but not the one I need) with three 3 variables (one of these changing) and known answer for these. I need to change one variable but I do not know the formula. Is there any way to figure this out:

known table:
v1: 1,833
v2: 15,89
v3: 53/9

this gives me a table with percentages as follows (these are differential ratios from a transmission and the answers are percentages of how two axles differ from each other):

1%=1,274, 2%=1,262, 3%=1,249, 4%=1,237, 5%=1,225, 6%=1,214, 7%=1,203

I need to change v3 to 51/9 and figure out the values for each percentage.

any help would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any way to predict what a different table would be from the information you gave using only mathematics. A person would have to understand the physical system that the table represents. This sounds like a mechanical engineering question.

1. What is the purpose of changing variables in a table?

The purpose of changing variables in a table is to solve unknown formulas. By changing the values of the variables, we can determine the relationship between the variables and find the missing values to complete the formula.

2. How do you identify which variable to change in a table?

The variable to change in a table is typically the one that is missing or unknown in the formula. This variable will be represented by a blank or a question mark in the table.

3. What are the steps to solving unknown formulas by changing variables in a table?

The steps to solving unknown formulas by changing variables in a table include identifying the variable to change, selecting a range of values for that variable, plugging in the values and completing the table, and finally analyzing the results to determine the missing value.

4. Can you change more than one variable in a table to solve a formula?

Yes, it is possible to change more than one variable in a table to solve a formula. However, it is important to keep track of which variables have been changed and how they affect the results in order to accurately determine the missing value.

5. Are there any limitations to changing variables in a table to solve unknown formulas?

Yes, there are limitations to changing variables in a table. This method may not work for more complex formulas or if the variables are not linearly related. In these cases, other methods such as using algebraic equations may be more effective.