Table Saw Safety: Explaining Amazing Table Saw Technology

In summary: I can't say more without giving away the secret.In summary, the table saw does not cut off your finger, it retracts and has a mechanical brake that stops the blade in less than 5ms. It is a technology that is being applied more generally soon.
munky99999
http://www.muchosucko.com/video-amazingtablesaw.html

It is a table saw that does not cut off your finger, could someone explain this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I dunno... it looks like a doctored video to me. One frame has the saw, the next it's completely gone.

it retracts, watch it in slow motion, if u can.

I have to agree that it is doctored. Here is why:

1. The website you found the video doesn't look very credible
2. How does the blade know the difference between your finger and a piece of wood? You really can't tell.
3. I did a google search and couldn't find anything supporting this video.

well the site puts everything that could be funny to someone, there is a good chance that it was doctored, but I thought that they would have someone researching that very thing, cause that tool would be the standard if made.

My firewall is blocking the video, and I really don't want to disable it, but I think I know of this technology...in fact I know the company that developed it. I am also under a legal obligation not to say how it works. I can only say that it is possible to tell a finger from a piece of wood. It is a very clever idea. This particular site may or may not be showing the same thing that I know about, but it sure sounds like it. The demonstration sounds identical to the one used by my customer.

Last edited:
Can you at least say what the company's name is, Ivan?

my hypothesis(haha) is that there is some sort of resistence a piece of wood would give, and obviously a finger with a less strong texture, would give a different resistence.

But I really don't think that is very practical.

enigma said:
Can you at least say what the company's name is, Ivan?

Since I don't know the politics of this I shouldn't say anything specific. I can assure you though that if I said how it worked, you would all immediately understand. No magic here.

You will see this technology applied more generally soon. I assume that the demand for secrecy was due to patent issues. Of course, sometimes these things just get silly. For a long time I couldn't use the word "Wahoos" either - a new General Mills product - but this was supposed to be a really big deal.

Last edited:
http://www.sawstop.com/video.htm is the source of the video. A little more respectable. Ivan if this is not the same as your source then there has been some industrial espionage going on.

Oh yeah. It imposes a AC signal on the blade, flesh has much different electrical properties then wood, when the changes a mechanical brake is engaged stopping the blade in less then 5ms. They have similar systems for band saws.

Does this work with metal or only wood?

(A table saw cuts Al plate very nicely.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh good. I was uncomfortable making a statement that I'm not allowed to back up.

The system that I know about should work with metal or wood.

There may be several approaches to this problem...

What is a table saw?

A table saw is a woodworking tool used to make straight and precise cuts in wood. It consists of a circular blade mounted on an arbor, which is driven by an electric motor. The blade protrudes through the surface of a table, providing a flat and stable surface for the wood to be cut on.

What are the safety features of a table saw?

Modern table saws come equipped with a variety of safety features, including blade guards, riving knives, and anti-kickback devices. Blade guards help to protect the user from accidental contact with the blade, while riving knives prevent the wood from pinching the blade and causing kickback. Anti-kickback devices, such as pawls and splitters, also help to prevent kickback by gripping the wood and keeping it from moving backward.

How do I use a table saw safely?

To use a table saw safely, always wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as safety glasses and ear protection. Keep your hands and fingers away from the blade at all times, and use push sticks and feather boards to guide the wood through the blade. Always use the appropriate blade for the type of cut you are making, and never remove the blade guard or other safety features.

What are the benefits of using a table saw?

Table saws are incredibly versatile tools that can make a wide range of cuts, including rip cuts, cross cuts, and miter cuts. They allow for precise and accurate cuts, making them essential for woodworking projects that require precision. Additionally, they can save time and effort compared to using traditional hand tools for cutting wood.

Are there any risks associated with using a table saw?

As with any power tool, there are risks associated with using a table saw. The most significant risk is accidental contact with the blade, which can result in serious injury. However, by following proper safety guidelines and using the appropriate safety features, these risks can be greatly minimized. It is essential to always read the instruction manual and receive proper training before using a table saw.