Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Table saws, Explain

1. Mar 26, 2004 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2004 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I dunno... it looks like a doctored video to me. One frame has the saw, the next it's completely gone.

4. Mar 26, 2004 #3
    it retracts, watch it in slow motion, if u can.

5. Mar 26, 2004 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

I have to agree that it is doctored. Here is why:

1. The website you found the video doesn't look very credible
    2. How does the blade know the difference between your finger and a piece of wood? You really can't tell.
    3. I did a google search and couldn't find anything supporting this video.

6. Mar 26, 2004 #5
    well the site puts everything that could be funny to someone, there is a good chance that it was doctored, but I thought that they would have someone researching that very thing, cause that tool would be the standard if made.

7. Mar 26, 2004 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My firewall is blocking the video, and I really don't want to disable it, but I think I know of this technology...in fact I know the company that developed it. I am also under a legal obligation not to say how it works. I can only say that it is possible to tell a finger from a piece of wood. It is a very clever idea. This particular site may or may not be showing the same thing that I know about, but it sure sounds like it. The demonstration sounds identical to the one used by my customer.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2004
  8. Mar 26, 2004 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you at least say what the company's name is, Ivan?

9. Mar 26, 2004 #8
    my hypothesis(haha) is that there is some sort of resistence a piece of wood would give, and obviously a finger with a less strong texture, would give a different resistence.

But I really don't think that is very practical.

10. Mar 26, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since I don't know the politics of this I shouldn't say anything specific. I can assure you though that if I said how it worked, you would all immediately understand. No magic here.

11. Mar 28, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You will see this technology applied more generally soon. I assume that the demand for secrecy was due to patent issues. Of course, sometimes these things just get silly. For a long time I couldn't use the word "Wahoos" either - a new General Mills product - but this was supposed to be a really big deal.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2004
  12. Mar 29, 2004 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is the source of the video. A little more respectable. Ivan if this is not the same as your source then there has been some industrial espionage going on.

Oh yeah. It imposes a AC signal on the blade, flesh has much different electrical properties then wood, when the changes a mechanical brake is engaged stopping the blade in less then 5ms. They have similar systems for band saws.

Does this work with metal or only wood?

(A table saw cuts Al plate very nicely.)

13. Mar 29, 2004 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh good. I was uncomfortable making a statement that I'm not allowed to back up.

The system that I know about should work with metal or wood.

There may be several approaches to this problem...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?