1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Table Torque Issue

1. Jan 1, 2005 #1
    A round table weighing 36 kg is supported by three equally placed supports. How much weight is required to tip the table over if the weight is placed equally inbetween two supports?

The answer is 36, I am curious if it is just a coincedence that its 36 or if it is always equal to the weight. Say if the table weighed 48 KG would it take 48 to tip it, and how would i start proving this mathematically
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2
    I dont understand this problem if the weight is placed inbetween two of the supports why would it tip over? since the weight is on the pivot point. Maybe I dont understand the configuration of the legs and where the weight is placed. But if thats all the information the problem gives you then I wouldnt be surprised if it is always equal to the weight
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?