Tablet PC: Buying Advice for Droid Razr HD & MS Office Users

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary: However, if you can live without Office, the Helix is a great alternative. Apps aren't as important as you think; you'll be just fine without any. Pictures can be easily transferred using a USB connection to your camera or to the tablet's SD card. You can use MS Office files on a Surface.
russ_watters
Mentor
I'm looking for advice on buying a tablet PC.

I'm a Droid Razr HD smart-phone user, Windows PC user and I don't think I own any Apple products, so I think that basically rules-me out of the iPad market. And I want to be able to use it effectively for work, which means it needs to run MS Office apps well and be easy to type on; I have a specific project in mind that requires data-entry on an excel spreadsheet. I also want to take it on vacation instead of a laptop, which means it needs to download and edit photos from my camera.

So the Cnet review of the MS Surface says it is the best for typing and "creation" and it has a real USB port, which isn't common. These seem like critical features to me. But it has some serious cons:

1. Expensive.
2. Doesn't come with MS Office (more expensive).
3. Few apps.

So my main questions are these:
1. Anyone own a Surface? Opinions?
2. Are apps really that important on a tablet? In other words, what do I need a tablet app for that I don't already use my droid smartphone for?
3. Can I download pictures to a droid based tablet either by USB mass-storage connection to my camera or using the SD card (maybe use a micro card and adapter on the camera and plug it directly into the tablet?)
4. Can a droid-based tablet effectively use MS Office files? (maybe I could upload a prototype and people can test it...?)

Surface review: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/microsoft-surface-rt/4852-3126_7-35332494.html

Computer science news on Phys.org
You are lucky to not own any Apple. I would love to get a Nexus 7 but I've had an ipod and iphone for awhile and i'd like everything to transfer over.

A real "Tablet PC" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC first introduced in 2002) refers to a specific type of Windows-XP-(or later)-based computer with a pressure-sensitive stylus (usually made by Wacom or N-trig) and support for true electronic ink.

The label has been hijacked to mean something like an iPad with a touchscreen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tablet_computer
(I like iPads for what they are... but they aren't real TabletPCs. We have several Apple devices in our household... as well as Windows machines.)

Compared to an iPad-like device,
a true tablet PC is more expensive, but is generally a more powerful general-purpose computer
which can run all Windows software.

Among true TabletPCs with an detachable iPad-like slate running at least a core i3 [not an Atom, not an ARM],
I did consider a Surface Pro ( http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/surface-with-windows-8-pro ),
the Lenovo Helix ( http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/tablets/thinkpad/thinkpad-helix/index.html ),
and the Samsung ATIV 700t ( http://www.samsung.com/us/business/computing/tablet-pcs/XE700T1C-A03US ).
While the Helix was the most powerful, it was pricey... and lacked an SD or microSD slot.
I settled on the Samsung
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0098O9TRO/?tag=pfamazon01-20
which I am trying to get used to.
The relatively few number of available apps doesn't bother me... I use it to run inking applications and Windows software (including some simulations by others and some I wrote [...content creation]). I have enough apps on my iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that Office for Android was just released--but I don't know what it costs. I use a 10" Samsung Galaxy tablet and love it. I did buy a USB keyboard and mouse for it, and I can use a (free or very low cost) Remote Desktop client to log on to my Windows PC while at home--in which case, it's Windows.

I love everything about the tablet except--I don't like surfing the web on it, and it can be frustrating trying to transfer files back to Windows.

Surface would seem like the way to go, especially if you can spring for the version that has Office on it. Reviews of Surface are quite positive.

I would recommend considering the following factors when looking for a tablet PC that meets your specific needs:

1. Compatibility with your current devices and software: Since you are a Droid Razr HD and Windows PC user, it is important to ensure that the tablet you choose is compatible with these devices and can run MS Office apps effectively.

2. Functionality for work purposes: Since you plan to use the tablet for work, it is important to consider features such as typing capabilities and data-entry on excel spreadsheets. The Microsoft Surface seems to have good reviews in this regard, but it is important to also consider other options that may offer similar features at a lower cost.

3. Price and additional costs: As you mentioned, the Microsoft Surface can be expensive and requires an additional purchase of MS Office. It is important to weigh the cost of the tablet and any necessary add-ons against your budget and needs.

4. App availability and necessity: While apps may not be as important for a tablet as they are for a smartphone, they can still provide useful tools for productivity and organization. It may be helpful to research and compare the availability and usefulness of apps on different tablet options.

5. Media capabilities: Since you plan to use the tablet for vacation and photo-related tasks, it is important to ensure that it has the necessary capabilities for downloading and editing photos from your camera. It is worth researching the specific features and compatibility of different tablets in this regard.

In terms of your specific questions:

1. I would recommend reading reviews and potentially reaching out to other users to gather opinions on the Microsoft Surface. It may also be helpful to test out the device in person before making a purchase.

2. Apps can be useful for specific tasks and may offer more features than your smartphone. It is worth considering your specific needs and researching the availability and usefulness of apps on different tablet options.

3. It may be possible to download pictures to a Droid-based tablet using a USB connection or SD card. It would be beneficial to research the specific capabilities and compatibility of different tablets in this regard.

4. Droid-based tablets may have varying levels of compatibility with MS Office files. It may be helpful to test out a prototype or research the specific capabilities of different tablets in this regard before making a purchase.

1. What is a Tablet PC and how is it different from a regular laptop or computer?

A Tablet PC is a portable computing device that is similar to a laptop but has a touchscreen and can be used as a handheld device. It is different from a regular laptop in that it does not have a physical keyboard and relies on touch-based input.

2. What are the main features to consider when buying a Tablet PC for Droid Razr HD and MS Office use?

The main features to consider when buying a Tablet PC for Droid Razr HD and MS Office use are processor speed, storage capacity, display quality, battery life, and compatibility with MS Office software.

3. Is the Droid Razr HD a good choice for a Tablet PC?

The Droid Razr HD is a good choice for a Tablet PC due to its fast processor, high resolution display, and long battery life. It also runs on the Android operating system, which is compatible with MS Office apps.

4. Can MS Office be used on a Tablet PC?

Yes, MS Office can be used on a Tablet PC as long as it is compatible with the device's operating system. The Droid Razr HD runs on the Android OS, which has versions of MS Office available for download.

5. What are some tips for using MS Office on a Tablet PC?

Some tips for using MS Office on a Tablet PC include using a stylus for more precise input, connecting a physical keyboard for easier typing, and utilizing cloud storage for easy access to documents across devices. It's also important to make sure the Tablet PC has enough storage space and processing power to run the MS Office apps smoothly.