Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tachyon trip

1. Oct 17, 2007 #1
    What I want to know about the theory that is supposed to predict fundamental particles of time is:
    where's the one that predicts fundamental particles of distance? Why aren't people looking for the complementary distance particles? Surely without distance time would not work, so where are the lengthons or the spacions?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Why would we need particles for distance? Does that make sense? What do you think distance is?
    Whats this "fundamental particles of time" ?
  4. Oct 17, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you can show me how a particle make an interaction with time, then I'll come up with the fundamental particle.

BTW, before you get into an awful mess, I'd suggest you read the PF Guidelines before proceeding any further.

5. Oct 17, 2007 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Based on the question, I think there is some confusion about tachyons [as there well should be :biggrin:]. IIRC, they are defined to be any time-reversed or superluminal particle, not particles of time.
  6. Oct 17, 2007 #5

The idea of particles of things is called quanta, that's where "quantum theory" comes from. Particles of light are quanta, and are called photons. The idea of quanta was created to be able to study phenomena such as light in a different way.

I believe those lengthons you are looking for are called "centimeters."
  7. Oct 17, 2007 #6
    I've always heard this:

tachyon: a hypothetical particle held to travel only faster than light

8. Oct 17, 2007 #7
    so, the answer to figuring out gravitons and photons is to introduce hypothetical particles? This is starting to sound like how string theory is based.
  9. Oct 17, 2007 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: Priceless!

I believe Ivan's guess about the OP's misconception (that the tachyon is a "quantum of time") is right.
  10. Oct 29, 2007 #9
    I know they're called centimeters, but what's one made of" Can you fedex one to me so I can have a good look at it (I've got a pretty good microscope)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?