Tachyons: Bosons, Force Particles, Messenger Particles?

• B
  • Thread starter Debaa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bosons
In summary, Tachyons are hypothetical objects with a mass of -1, which have been discussed in theories but do not currently exist. They are thought to potentially act as messenger particles between two entangled particles, allowing for faster than light information exchange. However, there is no evidence for this and no reason to believe it to be true. The precise definition of a tachyon depends on the context, but it is generally defined as an object with a mass of -1. In the field case, this is seen through the relation between frequency and wave 3-vector, while in the particle case it is seen through the relation between energy and 3-momentum. The Higgs field before symmetry breaking can be thought of as a
Debaa
Are tachyons force Particles/messenger particles ? Is so do they act messenger between two entangled particles and allow faster than light information exchange? Thank for the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tachyons don't exist, to the best of our current knowledge. They do not appear in any of our current theories.

Likes vanhees71
But "hypothetically" since they have mass -1 maybe?

Debaa said:
Are tachyons force Particles/messenger particles ? Is so do they act messenger between two entangled particles and allow faster than light information exchange? Thank for the answer.
Debaa said:
No, there is no evidence for any of the above and no reason to think they do.

Debaa said:
I thougt they had ##m^2=-1##.

Likes Debaa
DrDu said:
My bad their m=√-1

PeterDonis said:
Tachyons don't exist, to the best of our current knowledge. They do not appear in any of our current theories.
Or do they? Higgs field before symmetry breaking can be thought of as a tachyon field with ##m^2<0##. Nevertheless, it does not propagate faster than ##c##. It has been discussed in more detail in
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/do-tachyons-exist.827961/

Demystifier said:
Or do they? Higgs field before symmetry breaking can be thought of as a tachyon field with ##m^2<0##. Nevertheless, it does not propagate faster than ##c##. It has been discussed in more detail in

What is the precise definition of a tachyon? (This is a B thread so I can ask clarifying questions, right? :wink: )

martinbn said:
What is the precise definition of a tachyon? (This is a B thread so I can ask clarifying questions, right? :wink: )
Tachyons are objects with ##m^2<0##, but the meaning of the parameter ##m## depends on the context. It may be the "mass" of the particle or the "mass" of the field.

In the particle case, ##m## defines the relation between energy ##E## and 3-momentum ##{\bf p}## through
$$E^2-{\bf p}^2=m^2$$

In the field case, one considers a field ##\phi(t,{\bf x})## which can be Fourier transformed in terms of plane waves ##e^{-i(\omega t- {\bf k}\cdot{\bf x})}##. Here ##m## defines the relation between frequency ##\omega## and wave 3-vector ##{\bf k}## through
$$\omega^2-{\bf k}^2=m^2$$
Is that precise enough?

Demystifier said:
Higgs field before symmetry breaking can be thought of as a tachyon field with ##m^2<0##

Can you clarify what you are referring to here?

DrDu said:

They don't have to have ##m^2 = -1##. They just have ##m^2 < 0##.

Likes DrDu
Demystifier said:
Thanks I needed this kind of an answer.

Demystifier said:
Tachyons are objects with ##m^2<0##, but the meaning of the parameter ##m## depends on the context. It may be the "mass" of the particle or the "mass" of the field.

In the particle case, ##m## defines the relation between energy ##E## and 3-momentum ##{\bf p}## through
$$E^2-{\bf p}^2=m^2$$

In the field case, one considers a field ##\phi(t,{\bf x})## which can be Fourier transformed in terms of plane waves ##e^{-i(\omega t- {\bf k}\cdot{\bf x})}##. Here ##m## defines the relation between frequency ##\omega## and wave 3-vector ##{\bf k}## through
$$\omega^2-{\bf k}^2=m^2$$
Is that precise enough?

The particle case is clear to me because it connects with the causal structure. It's what I thought tachyons are. In the field case it is not clear to me why that should be called tachyons (or anything at all), and how does the definition go in a general space-time?

PeterDonis said:
Can you clarify what you are referring to here?
I am referring to the Higgs potential
$$V(\phi)=-\frac{\mu^2}{2}\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4}\phi^4$$
where ##\mu^2>0## and ##\lambda>0##. For small ##\phi## you can ignore the ##\lambda##-term, so what remains is a "mass" term with a wrong sign. Does it help?

But the point is that for this potential pertubation theory around ##\phi=0## doesn't make sense, because it's a maximum of the potential rather than a minimum. That's why you expand around the minimum,
$$V'=\phi (-\mu^2+\lambda \phi^2)=0,$$
i.e., around ##\phi_0=\mu/\sqrt{\lambda}##.

You can, to a certain extent, define QFTs of tachyons. See, e.g.,

J. Dhar, E.C.G. Sudarshan, Quantum Field Theory of interacting tachyons, Phys. Rev. 174, 174 (1968)

martinbn said:
In the field case it is not clear to me why that should be called tachyons (or anything at all), and how does the definition go in a general space-time?
I guess you know that quantization of fields leads to quantum states that can be interpreted as quantum particles. If they are states with definite energy and momentum, then their energy and momentum satisfies the same relation as that for the corresponding classical particles. That explains why such fields are called tachyon fields.

Concerning general spacetime, it's much easier to write down the partial differential equation which the fields satisfy. This is the Klein-Gordon equation
$$(\nabla^{\mu}\nabla_{\mu}+m^2)\phi(x)=0$$
in general spacetime with metric signature ##(+,-,-,-)##, where ##m^2<0## for tachyon fields.

Likes vanhees71
vanhees71 said:
But the point is that for this potential pertubation theory around ##\phi=0## doesn't make sense, because it's a maximum of the potential rather than a minimum.
Well, it depends on what do you mean by "doesn't make sense". Mathematically, it makes sense if you are studying a regime in which ##\phi## is close to zero. It is certainly not easy to satisfy this condition in an LHC experiment, but in principle it is not impossible. Initial conditions are, in principle, arbitrary, so there is no physical principle which would forbid ##\phi(t=0)=0##. For a short time after such initial condition, the system would behave as a tachyon field.

That's an interesting gedanken experiment. However, I've no clue, how you'd experimentally make ##\phi=0## at some time ##t##.

Terms luke "soft modes" and " glass transition" come to my mind.

Demystifier said:
I am referring to the Higgs potential

Ah, ok. @vanhees71 has already raised the points I would make.

DrDu said:
Terms luke "soft modes" and " glass transition" come to my mind.
Can you be more explicit? :wideeyed:

I think there is a better chance to observe these phenomena in solid state systems where you can rapildy sweep the parameter mu^2. If you do this slowly, the excitations will become "soft" near the point where mu vanishes. If you do it rapidly, long range collective modes may freeze out and you get a glass transition.

Likes Demystifier
PeterDonis said:

They do, though. As Demystifier pointed out, they show up whenever you are perturbing around an unstable vacuum. What is true is that no particles which travel faster than light (for a reasonable definition of "travel") can exist in any reasonable quantum field theory. But a particle can be a "tachyon" (an imaginary mass solution of the linearized equations of motion around an unstable vacuum) and still travel no faster than light, respecting causality. See e.g. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html and http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/166095/do-tachyons-move-faster-than-light . Look especially at Qmechanic's excellent answer.

Likes Demystifier
LeandroMdO said:
They do, though. As Demystifier pointed out, they show up whenever you are perturbing around an unstable vacuum.

I'm pretty sure Peter was saying that tachyons, in the context of FTL particles that the OP was asking about, do not exist.

Drakkith said:
I'm pretty sure Peter was saying that tachyons, in the context of FTL particles that the OP was asking about, do not exist.

Even if that's so, I suspect OP doesn't appreciate the distinction, so it must be made. Tachyons are a part of our theoretical framework. FTL signaling is not.

Likes Demystifier

1. What are tachyons?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that are believed to travel faster than the speed of light. They are predicted by some theoretical models, but have not yet been observed or proven to exist.

2. Are tachyons bosons or fermions?

Tachyons are predicted to be bosons, which are particles that have integer spin values. This is based on their theoretical properties and behavior in mathematical models, but it has not been confirmed through experimentation.

3. How do tachyons relate to force particles?

Tachyons are believed to be force particles, which means they are responsible for carrying and mediating fundamental forces such as gravity and electromagnetism. However, their role as force particles is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.

4. Can tachyons be used for faster-than-light travel?

According to current scientific understanding, it is not possible to use tachyons for faster-than-light travel. The properties and behavior of tachyons are still largely theoretical and there is no evidence to suggest that they can be harnessed for practical use.

5. What is the role of tachyons in the Standard Model of particle physics?

Tachyons are not included in the Standard Model of particle physics. This is because their existence has not been confirmed and they do not fit into the current framework of the model. However, some extensions to the Standard Model, such as string theory, do incorporate tachyons in their theoretical models.