1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tacoma Bridge

1. Nov 21, 2009 #1

Azu

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, i want to do a science fair project on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge Collapse. I want to do a research on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse and how it taught us what structures stabilize a bridge against wind forces.
    I also want to build something that would demonstrate the flutter effect. First i thought i should build a bridge and test it in a windtunnel, but i dont know what material i should use, and i think it would be expensive.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So, i was thinking about not building a bridge, but something else that would demonstrate the flutter effect, something that wouldn't be so expensive :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi Azu! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If you want a project on aeroelastic flutter, how about going green o:), and following this up, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeroelasticity#Flutter"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Nov 22, 2009 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A fan and a strip of paper, held at each end, might be able to demonstrate the flutter effect.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook