What is the Optimal Price for a Magazine with 140 Thousand Monthly Circulation?

• Thread starter cybershell
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a magazine's revenue and the relationship between its price and sales. The speaker, a 9th grader in algebra 2, provides a solution to the problem using a parabolic model and advises against giving out full solutions to homework problems.
cybershell
well I'm having an off day today an I wasn't able to solve some problem that was given to me in a formal manner, and it's kinda bugging me...here goes

A magazine has a circulation of 140 thousand per month when they charge $2.50 for a magazine. For each $.10 increase in price, 5 thousand sales are lost. how much should be charged per magazine to maximize revenue?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
this problem is a tad easy(I hope), from reading it you can make a parabolic model
such that

y=[2.5+(1/10)x]*[140,000-5000x]
from here by multiplying out the binomials we get

y=-500x^2+1500x+350,000

remember that when f'(x)=0 the tangent to the curve will hit the extrema (minimum/maximum)

and we get y'=(-1000x)+1500
setting the derivative to 0 gives us
1.5 so the amount that will maximize this is x=1.50

(hope I'm right and that that helped you a bit, by the way I'm a 9th grader in algebra 2 and I've seen a problem similar to this ,are you sure this isn't a homework problem?)

Last edited:
Yes It seems to me like it was a homework question, and you state that you suspect that, and since I'm sure you read the terms and conditions before you made your account, rather than just press next, you would know not to give out full solutions to homework problems. Sorry, I know its a harsh way to start here at PF, but those are the rules.

by the way I'm a 9th grader in algebra 2

How was that relevant in any way ..

Well, it's just a 'tad' harsh!

1. What factors determine the optimal price for a magazine with 140 thousand monthly circulation?

The optimal price for a magazine is influenced by various factors such as production costs, competitor prices, target audience, and perceived value of the magazine.

2. How does production cost affect the optimal price of a magazine?

The production cost of a magazine includes expenses for printing, distribution, and content creation. These costs play a significant role in determining the optimal price as the magazine needs to cover these expenses to be profitable.

3. Why is competitor price an important factor in determining the optimal price?

Competitor prices can influence the perceived value of the magazine. If the magazine is priced significantly higher than its competitors, it may be perceived as overpriced and may lose potential customers. On the other hand, if the magazine is priced lower than its competitors, it may be perceived as inferior quality.

4. How does the target audience affect the optimal price of a magazine?

The target audience's purchasing power and willingness to pay can impact the optimal price of a magazine. For example, if the target audience is price-sensitive, a lower price may attract more customers and result in higher sales.

5. What role does perceived value play in determining the optimal price for a magazine?

Perceived value is the perceived worth of a product or service to the customer. It can be influenced by various factors such as brand reputation, content quality, and design. A magazine with high perceived value may be able to command a higher price, while a magazine with low perceived value may need to lower its price to attract customers.