Tagent vector and vector field difference

1. Hi there

Can somebody please explain shortly the difference between a tangent vector and a vector field? I'm still new to differential geometry. I read couple of sources
    that had mixed claims on which of them actually act on a given function f. so i'm kind of confused.

Much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Fredrik

Fredrik 10,263
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The tangent space [tex]T_pM[/tex] of the manifold M at point p can be defined as the vector space spanned by the basis vectors

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\mu}\bigg\lvert_p[/tex]

where x is a coordinate system (a chart). (There is also a coordinate independent definition, but it will result in the same quantities being called tangent vectors, so it's equvalent to this one).

Let F denote the set of smooth ([tex]C^\infty[/tex]) functions from M into R (the set of real numbers). The vectors in the tangent spaces are linear functions from F into R

In the physics literature, a vector field is sometimes defined as a function that takes each point p in a subset U of M to a vector in the tangent space at p. In the mathematics literature the definition is a little more complicated, but it's still pretty close to the sloppy physicist's definition.

I'm not 100% sure that I remember the mathematical definition 100% correctly, but I think this is at least very close to it:

The tangent bundle TM of the manifold M is defined by

[tex]TM=\big\{(p,v)|p\in M, v\in \bigcup_{q\in M}T_qM\big\}[/tex]

The function [tex]\pi:TM\rightarrow M[/tex] defined by

[tex]\pi(p,v)=p[/tex]

is called the projection.

A vector field is a section of the tangent bundle. A section is a function [tex]X:M\rightarrow TM[/tex], such that

[tex]\pi(X(p))=p[/tex]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2004
  4. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,390
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Fredrik is completely correct.

In simpler, less precise, terms, a "vector field" is an assignment of a tangent vector at EVERY POINT.

In a certain sense, while a tangent vector IS a derivative (the gradient of a function), a vector field is a differential equation.

5. Hi Fredrik, HallsofIvy, and all

First of all thanks for the explanation Fredrik and HallsofIvy, but just to make sure i understand this, i will try to give an example.

Let [tex] X_p [/tex] be a tangent vector in an open neighborhood [tex] U [/tex] of a point [tex] p \in R^n[/tex] and let [tex] f [/tex] be a [tex] C^\infty [/tex] function in [tex] U [/tex]. [tex] F^i [/tex] are the smooth functions from [tex] M [/tex] into [tex] R [/tex] , and suppose that [tex] X_p = (X,p) [/tex], where the components of the Euclidean vector [tex] X [/tex] are [tex]a^1,...,a^n [/tex]. Then for any function [tex] f [/tex], the tangent vector [tex]
    X_p [/tex] operates on [tex] f [/tex] according to

[tex] X_p(f) = \sum_{i=1}^n a^i ( \frac{ \partial} { \partial F^i } )(p). [/tex]

which can be written as

[tex] X_p(f) = a^i ( \frac{\partial} { \partial F^i } )p. [/tex]

And this equation is basically the vector field, which assigns the tangent vector to the point.

The quantities

[tex] ( \frac{ \partial } { \partial F^1})p,..., ( \frac{\partial}{ \partial F^n})p [/tex]

form the basis for a tangent space [tex] T_p(R^n) [/tex] at the point p.

Please correct me if i'm wrong.

weio

6. Fredrik

Fredrik 10,263
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"A tangent vector in an open neighborhood..." It sounds like you're talking about a vector field here. A tangent vector is always a member of the tangent space of the manifold at a particular point.

When I use a notation like [tex]X_p[/tex], this means a vector in the tangent space of M at p. It would be OK to call [tex]X[/tex] a vector field, if [tex]X_p\in T_pM[/tex] and [tex]X[/tex] is the map [tex]p\mapsto X_p[/tex] (physicists' version of a vector field) or the map [tex]p\mapsto (p,X_p)[/tex] (mathematicians' version of a vector field).

It's OK to write

[tex]X_p=a^i\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}\bigg\lvert_p[/tex]

or

[tex]X_p(f)=a^i\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}\bigg\lvert_p f[/tex]

but if f appears on the left-hand side you have to keep it on the right-hand side too. Otherwise it looks like a number is equal to a map from the "set of functions from M into R" into R.

The derivative operators (that I prefer to write with the vertical bar and the p as a subscript) are a basis for the tangent space of M at p. [tex]T_p\mathbb R^n[/tex] would be the tangent space of [tex]\mathbb R^n[/tex] at p, but p is a point in M. It is however possible to use the function F to construct a vector space isomorphism from [tex]T_pM[/tex] onto [tex]T_{F(p)}\mathbb R^n[/tex], but that's kind of off topic.

Note that the maps

[tex]p\mapsto\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}\bigg\lvert_p[/tex]

are vector fields (physicists' version), but the derivative operators

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}\bigg\lvert_p[/tex]

are tangent vectors. A convinient notation is to denote those maps (the vector fields) by

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}[/tex]

I just dropped the subscript that indicated a position on the manifold, just as I did for [tex]X_p[/tex]. With this notation we have

[tex]X=a^i\frac{\partial}{\partial F^i}[/tex]

This is an equation that describes a relationship between vector fields.

7. Hi

I guess i could have written it as [tex] X_p(f) = a^i ( \frac {\partial f} { \partial F^i} )(p) [/tex], but i missed the [tex] f [/tex], my bad. Anyways, I understand now, but I think I need more time to get used to the notion of vector fields and tangent vectors. Thanks for the clarification.

weio

8. mathwonk

mathwonk 9,690
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a vector field is just a family of tangent vectors, one at each point of a given set (usually open) of the manifold. Thus a vector field defined on a one point set, is a just tangent vector!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?