Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tagging System

1. Jun 10, 2008 #1
    You can now tag posts with relevant keywords. Enjoy!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Who can? Who can edit tags?

4. Jun 10, 2008 #3

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I can :biggrin:

5. Jun 10, 2008 #4
    There is a tag cloud on the homepage sidebar now too and you can search by tag.

6. Jun 10, 2008 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh, I added a tag. :biggrin: So, okay, on a more nuts and bolts side, can the members edit tags? Or just mentors? When I opened the tag edit screen, it says you can only have 6 tags, and I had the option to uncheck tags to remove them too. Is that something everyone could do (I can just see the tag wars now :rolleyes:)?

Can someone who isn't staff tell us if they can monkey around with the tags and to what extent?

7. Jun 10, 2008 #6

berkeman

What's a tag?

8. Jun 10, 2008 #7

Evo

Scroll down and you will see "tags" in a bar under the thread. On the right and side, click "edit threads" and you can add or delete tags.

You can add a tag to a thread to help you locate it with a search.

If anyone can add tags, but there is a limit to the number of tags, does that mean I get to delete someone's tag so I can make my own? I don't suppose it's possible to have a "my tags"?

9. Jun 10, 2008 #8
  10. Jun 10, 2008 #9

berkeman

I must be brain dead. I'm still only guessing at what they are used for. So, if I saw a word in a thread that I thought was a good partial description of the subject matter, or saw some keyword that the thread was addressing, I could double click on the word to highlight it, CTL-C to copy the word, and then go to Edit Tags to paste it in? And then that word would be a tag to this thread (the whole thread, not the post I got it from?), kind of like the index in the back of a book (which has multiple pointers into the book for the multiple instances of the occurrance of the word)?

Or am I just off in the weeds here.... Brain dead. Going home for now. Nite!

11. Jun 10, 2008 #10

Evo

Let's say you want to be able to find this thread again, you might give it a name (tag) that meant something to you so when you do a tag search, the thread comes up.

12. Jun 10, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, they're used to index the threads. Think of it as a keyword search. It should help improve the searches here if some relevant keywords or phrases are tagged so you could search by those keywords (going to the "tag cloud" or keyword list would allow you to search for threads on similar topics...or even similarly misspelled topics if someone spelled their keyword wrong :biggrin:)

13. Jun 10, 2008 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I just noticed "tongue" made the tag cloud...:rofl:...small sample size, I'm sure...!

14. Jun 10, 2008 #13
    yeah, it holds the top 70 tags, so for the time being, anyone tag with atleast 1 click will get in the list :)

15. Jun 11, 2008 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can add two tags and I can't uncheck ones already there.

16. Jun 11, 2008 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Me too. :smile:

ooh … the tag cloud is difficult to read because most of the tags are of more than one word, and nothing separates the tags.
    could they start with a capital, or be alternate colours … or each begin with their own smilie? :biggrin:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  17. Jun 11, 2008 #16

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

tag cloud

(I can add 5 tags to my own thread)

I tried adding a tag with an initial capital letter, but it was changed to a small letter. :cry:

oh, and … why "cloud"?

18. Jun 11, 2008 #17

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is there something like an "auto-tag" system? I remember a few years back when I was a member of another board, at the bottom of every thread page there would always be a listing of five threads titled "Similar threads". I assume this is done automatically because I always notice 5 similar threads listed at the page bottom and the contents of the designated "similar threads" are not always relevant to the current thread, as would be expected if it were automated.

Could this be implemented somehow on this board?

19. Jun 11, 2008 #18
    I can add 2 tags to this thread, and delete my own only.

20. Jun 11, 2008 #19
  21. Jun 11, 2008 #20
    Yes, but the way it is implemented (just listed at the bottom of a thread) I don't feel it is worthwhile. Something to consider for the future.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?