Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take a Stand Against Fur.

1. Feb 26, 2008 #1
    I just saw this clip seconds ago, and I was utterly disgusted by this. This footage is gruesome. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE. I'm not kidding.
    Please, let us unite to do something about this. Sadly, I don't know what exactly needs to be done.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never wear fur. It's so passe. To me, women in fur coats look like hookers.

4. Feb 26, 2008 #3

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Seems more anti-chinese than anti-fur. This is why I don't like Chinese people :wink:

edit: MIH is right. Women in fur really do look like prostitutes.

5. Feb 26, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It won't load for me. I wouldn't like to deny a person living by traditional means their fur coat however.

6. Feb 26, 2008 #5
    Er, just to add this- is this kind of posting allowed? I'm afraid I'll get banned for this or something :uhh:

7. Feb 26, 2008 #6

Evo

Staff: Mentor

PETA threads normally generate flame wars, we've had a number of them and they have to be closed. Since I can't view the links right now, I'll let another moderator decide if it is too graphic.

8. Feb 26, 2008 #7
    It's pretty graphic. It's worse than the clips of the meat packing industry cruelty, IMO.

9. Feb 26, 2008 #8
    I moved the time in the video to a random place in the video and it showed a chinese guy stomping the guts out of a raccoon's head. Graphic enough?

10. Feb 26, 2008 #9

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Ok, based on that, I'm removing the links, but let's continue the discussion.

11. Feb 26, 2008 #10
    I've never stomped on a raccoon's head, but I did have a Davy Crockett coonskin cap I wore on my head. small world

12. Feb 26, 2008 #11

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My 15-1/2 YO daughter is a vegan. She shows this stuff to me all the time. She knows I'm a softie and I can't stomach to watch.

Some of the clips, especially those from overseas, are just beyond sickening.

I suspect I'll be vegan, or maybe jsut vegetarian, before too long. But I could never wear fur - I find it repulsive.

13. Feb 26, 2008 #12

wolram

Gold Member

One time i saw a vet wearing a horse glove.

14. Feb 26, 2008 #13
    I find most fur repulsive, but I've got some slippers made from baby seals that I'll fight to keep.

15. Feb 26, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best action to take is to stop believing PETA's propaganda in any way represents reality. Now they're complaining about wool...yeesh...you get wool by giving the sheep the equivalent of a haircut, which they need to not get too hot in summer anyway, and send them merrily back out to pasture.

16. Feb 26, 2008 #15

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's actually cruel to leave certain breeds of sheep unshorn for long periods.
    Where I'm from there are churro sheep with four (read: 4) horns, that when left too long unshorn in pasture cannot walk very well. They start to look like cotton balls with toothpicks stuck in them.

Pictures:
    http://www.ausbcomp.com/redman/churro_project.htm

17. Feb 26, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not to mention how absolutely FILTHY wool gets. For simple hygiene you need to get it off the sheep (we shear before lambing around here, so the ewes aren't completely filthy when the lambs are being born, and so all the fluids from the birth don't cling to the wool and attract bugs).

18. Feb 26, 2008 #17

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are "against" fur, are you also against leather?

Is wearing animal hair worse than wearing animal skin?

Humans would not be where we are if it weren't for smearing an animal's skin with its own brains. Sickening as it sounds, that's the way tanning has been done for thousands of years.

19. Feb 26, 2008 #18

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I used to get the newsletter from "Real Goods," a solar-living store on the west coast. The best part were the letters, which once contained a PETA-ish person claiming that they would not buy anything through the store or catalog as long as they sold anything made of or containing wool.

I couldn't help thinking: petroleum-based synthetics is "more-correct" than wool? As a Scot, I found that offensive.

Edit: Maybe they think that hemp sweaters will keep you warm enough.

20. Feb 26, 2008 #19
    I think it all depends on how it is done. Obviously stomping a racoons head is not appropriate. But if someone were to "humanely" put the racoon down and then use the meat for food, I'm ok with that. But I doubt they used the rest of the racoon.

21. Feb 26, 2008 #20

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They will if you smoke them.

I must admit I do wear loads of leather because I'm into motorbikes, but I think that as long as the killing is humane then we can use the product.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?