Should I Take Calculus-Based Physics in Cegep?

In summary, the conversation discusses the disappointment of receiving a 71 in algebra-based grade 11 physics class, with the average of the class being 73. The individual has the opportunity to take a mechanics calculus-based physics class in cegep, but questions whether their calculus skills are strong enough. It is also mentioned that mechanics with algebra is almost as difficult as calculus-based physics. The individual also shares their struggles with certain areas of the class, such as labs and optics, and wonders if they should be ashamed of their grades. The idea of taking calculus-based E&M after mechanics is also brought up, with the concern of its difficulty. Overall, the individual is seeking advice on whether to retake grade 11 physics or move on to
Prototype44
I am dissapointed in the fact that I got a 71 in my algerbraic grade 11 physics class. The thing that hurts me the worst is the fact that the average of the class was 73. I have the oppurtunity to take a mechanics calculus based physics class in cegep. Should I take it or should I try to take grade 11 physics again?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself the following questions:
How strong is my calculus? I'm 99% sure that your calculus-based mechanics teacher is a physics teacher, not a math teacher, and he/she will require you to apply the calculus without teaching the mathematical theory. If you feel confident in computing a variety of calculus problems with ease, go for it.

How well did I do in algebra-based mechanics? Algebra-based physics is almost as hard as, if not harder, than calculus-based physics because there's a massive breadth of knowledge from thermodynamics to optics, and mechanics is only a portion of it. If you feel good about mechanics with algebra, mechanics with calculus is not much more difficult.

Of course, many schools pair calculus-based mechanics and with calculus-based E&M, the latter of which is quite brutal.

what areas of the class gave you problems?

Did you think you understood the problems but through testing discovered that no you didn't?

Was it using the wrong formula for the problem or how to analyze the problem or simply bad arithmetic or a conceptual problem?

I did not attend class for 2 days due to sickness. This caused me to use other resources to get taught. I used [PLAIN]http://www.physicsclassroom.com[/PLAIN] so that I could practice with problem sets but they did not cover everything I learned except for the energy section. In the days coming up to my final I dedicated a lot of time to learning the energy section and I think I should not of focused so much of my time on it even though I was not taught it by the teacher and the notes were inadequate.
Another problem was labs,
I tried to do well on them but it was not easy due to the fact that the teacher marks harshly (she was a microbiologist). An example of this was interpreting a qualitative study which she said did not include numbers however you needed to measure and see for example if surface area affected the friction of a block. I also did not do well on the 2 lab exams and I think that hurt my mark the most. The problem is you have 1 hour to write a whole lab report and it has to contain evrything from a purpose to a conclusion. The graph also requires a line of best fit, which means more then 2 data points. I will expand on what happened on my final exam if you want me too.
Third was a problem learning optics which many people in my class had. I was lazy the first term and did not do well with the refraction and reflection section. That was all my fault since I thought it was easier then expected.
I also got a 69 in math 506 (precal) which is higher then my class average of 68. Should I take it cal based physics with that in mind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you think you understood the problems but through testing discovered that no you didn't?

Was it using the wrong formula for the problem or how to analyze the problem or simply bad arithmetic or a conceptual problem?

Through testing I discovered that I did not obviously since I did not get the maximum mark for theory. An example of this was knowing that the normal force for an elevator decelerating downwards was the net force. I recall using the wrong formula once for projectile motion, I used specifically ay instead of ax in the formula xf=xi+vixt+1/2axt^2
Analyses of some of the problems were difficult in optics like knowing which mirror corresponded with each situation given. Bad arithmetic was present in 2 labs one was not converting a certain variable to metres instead of cm (I forgot what it was and I apologize for that), same problem with the other lab.

I would like one or more of you users to answer the question I laid out in my previous post and I also want to know If I should be ashamed about my grades in these subjects (math=69 class av=68 physics=71 class av=73)

Of course, many schools pair calculus-based mechanics and with calculus-based E&M, the latter of which is quite brutal.

I will take E&M in the next term after cal based mechanics and cal 1 assuming I sastify its requirements with those courses. How is E&M brutal in your opinon?

1. What is the difference between calculus-based and algebra-based physics?

Calculus-based physics uses calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals to analyze and solve problems, while algebra-based physics uses algebraic equations and concepts. Calculus-based physics is typically more mathematically rigorous and is often the preferred option for students majoring in physics or engineering.

2. Do I need to have taken calculus before taking calculus-based physics?

It is strongly recommended to have a solid understanding of calculus before taking calculus-based physics. Many of the concepts and problem-solving techniques in calculus-based physics build on calculus concepts, and it can be challenging to keep up without prior knowledge of calculus.

3. How much math is involved in calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics does involve a significant amount of math, including algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. However, the emphasis is on understanding and applying these math concepts to solve physical problems, rather than just memorizing equations.

4. Is calculus-based physics harder than algebra-based physics?

This can vary depending on individual strengths and preferences. Some students may find calculus-based physics more challenging due to the higher mathematical rigor, while others may prefer it because of its emphasis on problem-solving and understanding of underlying principles.

5. What are the advantages of taking calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics provides a deeper understanding of fundamental concepts, as well as the ability to solve more complex and realistic problems. It also prepares students for more advanced physics and engineering courses that require a strong foundation in calculus-based physics.