1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Take more EE courses or not?

1. Apr 1, 2008 #1
    Hi. I'm a Junior Electrical Engineering major, about to complete my B.S. degree. I have one more year to go and need help planning my schedule.

In short, I have only one required EE course that I must take each semester. I also have a few gen-ed requirements that I need to take no matter what, each semester. So at this point, I have two classes per semester that is required and comprises of 8 total credits.

Full-time is 12 credits.

For the fall and spring of my Senior year, I would like to take an upper level EE course each semester. Therefore, for the fall and spring semester, I will have two required courses and the EE course I want to take. I will have one slot open each semester.

EE Courses are in red.

Fall 2008
    Senior EE Course - Required Course
    General Ed. - Required Course
    Senior EE Elective Course - Want To Take
    Free Slot for random course

Spring 2009
    Senior EE Course - Required Course
    General Ed. - Required Course
    Physical Education Course - Required Course
    Senior EE Elective Course - Want To Take
    Free Slot for random course

This is where I need your help. Ultimately, my career goals is to work for an engineer for maybe 1-3 years and then pursue an MBA or law degree. I have no desire to be an engineer my whole life.

I am mainly asking these questions because of the added pressures of the importance of your GPA when applying to graduate school (whether it's a business or law school). I know they might realize that engineering may be slightly more harder and difficult to get a high GPA, but sometimes that doesn't matter for most admissions committee (this is what I've been reading, at least). You are compared to a student with a completely different major, let's say a humanities major, with no distinction between the students, except solely the GPA.

Does it matter if I don't take EE courses in the free spots? I am talking in POV of a employer who looks at my senior level course listings on my transcript, for example. As I mentioned above, I do plan on working as an engineer as a few years, so I will be applying for entry-level jobs as an EE/Comp E. (Please note, I will have two internships under my belt, in addition to numerous campus leadership activities, few scholarships, and a few honor society memberships (Eta Kappa Nu, EE honor society... being one of them)).

Otherwise, if I do not take additional EE courses, I am planning on taking some other courses where I can boost my GPA even higher. They might be either 300 level CS classes or even some other interesting Gen-Eds. I guess the 300-level CS courses wouldn't look that bad. My main goal is to try to boost my GPA above a 3.3+/4.0. I currently have a 3.18.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted