• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Take more EE courses or not?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi. I'm a Junior Electrical Engineering major, about to complete my B.S. degree. I have one more year to go and need help planning my schedule.

In short, I have only one required EE course that I must take each semester. I also have a few gen-ed requirements that I need to take no matter what, each semester. So at this point, I have two classes per semester that is required and comprises of 8 total credits.

Full-time is 12 credits.

For the fall and spring of my Senior year, I would like to take an upper level EE course each semester. Therefore, for the fall and spring semester, I will have two required courses and the EE course I want to take. I will have one slot open each semester.

EE Courses are in red.

Fall 2008
Senior EE Course - Required Course
General Ed. - Required Course
Senior EE Elective Course - Want To Take
Free Slot for random course

Spring 2009
Senior EE Course - Required Course
General Ed. - Required Course
Physical Education Course - Required Course
Senior EE Elective Course - Want To Take
Free Slot for random course

This is where I need your help. Ultimately, my career goals is to work for an engineer for maybe 1-3 years and then pursue an MBA or law degree. I have no desire to be an engineer my whole life.

I am mainly asking these questions because of the added pressures of the importance of your GPA when applying to graduate school (whether it's a business or law school). I know they might realize that engineering may be slightly more harder and difficult to get a high GPA, but sometimes that doesn't matter for most admissions committee (this is what I've been reading, at least). You are compared to a student with a completely different major, let's say a humanities major, with no distinction between the students, except solely the GPA.

Does it matter if I don't take EE courses in the free spots? I am talking in POV of a employer who looks at my senior level course listings on my transcript, for example. As I mentioned above, I do plan on working as an engineer as a few years, so I will be applying for entry-level jobs as an EE/Comp E. (Please note, I will have two internships under my belt, in addition to numerous campus leadership activities, few scholarships, and a few honor society memberships (Eta Kappa Nu, EE honor society... being one of them)).

Otherwise, if I do not take additional EE courses, I am planning on taking some other courses where I can boost my GPA even higher. They might be either 300 level CS classes or even some other interesting Gen-Eds. I guess the 300-level CS courses wouldn't look that bad. My main goal is to try to boost my GPA above a 3.3+/4.0. I currently have a 3.18.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies