1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take the job or not?

1. Jul 17, 2014 #1
    Hey guys i am new in this forum ! I wish you are fine. Well i am finishing my MSc in Electronics and searching for a job.

Basically, i like more the electronics and especially, analog, microwave/RF => designing individula stages or systems TX-RX etc

However, i have a proposal from a company that is related with antennas. I have done in the past a lot of things in antenna field

but it is not my favorite objective. I gave 2 interviews about RF Engineer and i failed unfortunately. A lot of people advise me to

start the job with antenna design to obtain some experience and then i can move to electronics more easily because i will meet

a lot of people etc.. the contract is 2 years. I don't know what to do.. what do you believe ?

Thanks a lot and have a nice night

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2014 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It sounds like you have a choice between a job and a dream.

In making a decision like this, what I think it ultimately comes down to is how realistic you think your chances are of landing a job in the short term that's more consistent with what you see yourself doing in the long term, and how long you can draw out that search.

In my experience, no job will be perfect and two years is short compared to the length of your career. So if this antenna design job is a potential avenue to get you where you want to go, it might be a good idea to take it on. I don't know the electrical engineering market though.

4. Jul 18, 2014 #3
    I think you should go with the job. It's only 2 years and you'll gain experience. Who knows? you may find the job very interesting and decide to stay in that field.

5. Jul 21, 2014 #4
    One thing about designing antennas: You end up in the field a lot. You meet with the customers quite a bit and you learn lots of interesting things that aren't exactly antenna related. For example, you learn how to protect against lightning, antenna site management, and a whole host of interesting opportunities.

Of course you may not like these things, but you can always play with electronics as a ham radio enthusiast...

6. Jul 29, 2014 #5
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Well i think i will start the job to gain experience.. in the same time i will involved in RF through ham activities :) thnanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook