1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Take the limit

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=67104&stc=1&d=1393602574.png

2. Relevant equations
    How does he get sin(theta)/theta / 1+ sintheta/theta *1/costheta
    I don't understand how he goes from sinetheta/theta + tantheta to sin(theta)/theta / 1+ sintheta/theta *1/costheta

to me it looks like he just brought up the theta like theta/1 and just bumped up the theta but i know you cant do that.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ive tried too many times, there is my question if anyone can help. I appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2
    1/theta was multiplied in both the numerator and denominator (i.e. Multiplying by 1). It's a type of algebraic manipulation trick, similar to cleverly adding 0 to an expression to simplify it.

4. Feb 28, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another method: you could try inverting the original limit and see what you get:

[tex]\lim_{θ→0} \frac{θ+tanθ}{sinθ}[/tex]

5. Feb 28, 2014 #4
    Thank you, I remember that trick. I don't see it though because if you times it by theta/theta wouldn't it be thetasin(theta)/ 2theta + tantheta? Even if i did (1/theta) / (1/theta) its seems not to work because 1/costheta would be 1/theta(cos(theta))..dang i dont see it.

6. Feb 28, 2014 #5
    So i see that it would work for (1/theta)(1/theta) is that what you mean? i mean that is the same thing as theta over theta but you have to put it in that form for it to work

7. Feb 28, 2014 #6

Yeah, that's what I mean. The whole point of doing that is so you would have a ##\frac{sin(\theta)}{\theta}## in the expression, which you know the limit of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted