Take the natural log of both sides?

In summary, to solve for y in the equation y = e^xlnx, you need to differentiate both sides with the chain rule.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Find the first derivitive. Simplify if possible (factor).
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
y = x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = \ln x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = e^x \ln x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
There's a similar problem in my class notes where it was solved by taking the natural log of both sides. Is this the way to go on this problem? If so, I'm stuck at this point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just use the chain rule?

tony873004 said:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
y = x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = \ln x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = e^x \ln x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
There's a similar problem in my class notes where it was solved by taking the natural log of both sides. Is this the way to go on this problem? If so, I'm stuck at this point.

You're doing just fine...differentiat both sides to get
[tex]
\frac{1}{y} \frac{dy}{dx} = e^xln(x)+e^x/x
[/tex]

Then go from there...

tony873004 said:
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
y = x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = \ln x^{e^x } \\
\\
\ln y = e^x \ln x \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

As Geekster said, you can use implicit differentiation. Personally, I'd just use chain rule.

[tex]y = x^{e^x} = e^{(e^x)(\ln x)}[/tex]

This is of the form [tex]y = e^{f(x)}[/tex] the derivative of which is

[tex]y' = f'(x)e^{f(x)}[/tex]

So
[tex]y' = (\frac{1}{x}e^x + (e^x)(\ln x))(e^{(e^x)(\ln x)})[/tex]

which you can simplify.

Last edited:
re: geekster
Thanks. I got that far. Should I just multiply both sides by y? But that would leave me with [tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = e^x y\ln x + \frac{1}{x}y
[/tex]
Don't I need to get rid of y on the right side?

re: Curious3141
Thanks.
This was on the test for implicit differentiation. Chain rule was last test, but he didn't say we couldn't use it. Give me a little while to see if I can simplify that, and I'll post what I get.

Last edited:
tony873004 said:
re: geekster
Thanks. I got that far. Should I just multiply both sides by y? But that would leave me with [tex]
\frac{{dy}}{{dx}} = e^x y\ln x + \frac{1}{x}y
[/tex]
Don't I need to get rid of y on the right side?

No...you were given y in the problem. Just replace y by [tex]x^e^x[/tex] and you get the same answer that Curious3141 gave. I think it's good to see the same answer can come from many different methods. Although Curious3141's method is more elegant IMO.

is this how u do it..?

ya.jpg

1. What is the purpose of taking the natural log of both sides?

The natural log, or ln, is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the exponential function. Taking the natural log of both sides is a common technique used in solving equations that involve exponential terms.

2. When should I take the natural log of both sides?

You should take the natural log of both sides when you have an equation that involves an exponential term, and you want to solve for the variable in the exponent. This method can also be used to simplify expressions and make them easier to work with.

3. How does taking the natural log of both sides help in solving equations?

Taking the natural log of both sides can help in solving equations by converting an exponential equation into a linear equation, which is easier to solve. This is because the natural log function has the property of removing the exponent and bringing it down as a coefficient.

4. Is taking the natural log of both sides the only way to solve exponential equations?

No, there are other methods to solve exponential equations, such as using the power rule, factoring, or using logarithm properties. However, taking the natural log of both sides is often the most efficient and straightforward method.

5. Are there any restrictions when taking the natural log of both sides?

Yes, when taking the natural log of both sides, the argument of the natural log must be a positive real number. This means that the base of the exponential term cannot be equal to 1 or 0, as the natural log of these numbers is undefined.