Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking a Euro Trip

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    I'm planning on taking a euro trip this winter with a few friends. We are planning on visiting cities in Germany, Switzerland and France. Anyone have tips on places to visit? Or maybe if some of you are in those areas we can visit :smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2
    No, but the movie Euro Trip is hilarious! Maybe you can rent the DVD and play it on your laptop during the flight.

It fits the occasion!

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3
    haha yeah, one place we will spend alot of time at is amsterdam :wink:

5. Aug 22, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If there is any way that you can swing it, I highly recommend a trip to Zermat, Switzerland. Being winter this may not be likely, the prices will probably be way out of sight, but still I would check into it. Tsu and I spent a little time there and it was spectacular. There is a gear driven rail system that goes right to the top of the Alps, directly across from the Matterhorn. Incredible!!!

Greg I was thinking, if you plan to stay in Wisp, it may be possible to make a day trip to Zermat and up the mountain. I think the rail cost is reasonable all year, but in winter the hotels may be, well, like $2000 per night, IIRC.

The high speed rail between Paris and Geneva is also very, very, cool. At the time that we went it was fairly reasonable in price.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  6. Aug 22, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then you need to plan carefully. A stop for coffee can take awhile.

7. Aug 22, 2004 #6
    You have to take a trip to the Mont Blanc (15 000 + ft high) in the village of Chamounix in France. They have a cable car that gets you to a peak about the same height as the Mont Blanc (Aiguille du Midi) and the view from there is amazing! And you get fron ground level to the top in like twenty minutes!! And once at the top you can even get a different cable car that drops you down into Italy! :smile:

8. Aug 22, 2004 #7
    Of the countries you’re visiting, I’ve only been to Germany. Will this be your first time in Europe?

Anyway, I’d recommend Neuschwanstein Castle. It’s a bit of a hike up a steep hill, but it’s worth it. I’m not sure if it’s worth going on a tour of the actual castle, but if you want to take some great pictures, this is probably one of the best sites. If you do visit, you might as well take a few extra days and go to Austria and visit Vienna.
    My advice: RENT A CAR and go nuts on the Auto Bahn. :tongue2:

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/germany/p/ludwig_castle.htm

9. Aug 22, 2004 #8
    Websites like these may be confusing and difficult to navigate, but a good, quick way to learn how to communicate.

France is definitely a great place to spend time at. The sidewalk cafes, the food, the drinks...delicious.

10. Aug 22, 2004 #9
    You're very lucky. Don't forget to show us some pictures.

11. Aug 22, 2004 #10

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are coming to AMSTERDAM???? :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: that'd be cool :biggrin: I say you shouldn't miss Italy, drive throught the Dolomites and visit Venice :wink:

12. Aug 22, 2004 #11
    I live in Switzerland, but I guess Ivan Seeking can give you better tips than I :biggrin: :blush:

I personnally live in Lucerne, quite a classical tourist's town (though not really in winter). If you know how to ski, go anywhere you like, Zermatt, Engelberg, Arosa,...you name it, we got it! :biggrin:

13. Aug 22, 2004 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I haven't been to any of those countries, so can't recommend places. I just know I've been told by Europeans that Americans often try to pack too many places into one trip, not realizing that even though the distance isn't far between them, it can take longer to get places due to more traffic and needing to pass through a lot more towns on the way.

On the other hand, traveling between countries by rail at night is a great way to save on hotel expenses...apparently sleeping accomodations on the trains is pretty reasonable. I haven't done this yet either (I've only been to Europe a very few times for conferences and have never had time to really travel far from the meeting location).

If you want to see the very touristy things, it's best to get yourself out of bed very early and get there before the rest of the tourists all show up in the afternoon. Then enjoy the afternoon someplace else. The little bit I've visited of Europe, I've always found the most enjoyable places to visit were not the tourist traps, but the places that the locals go to hang out. After a while, all the cathedrals and castles start to look the same (unless you are really an enthusiast of art and architecture), but meeting people in cafes and parks and markets is fun.

Be flexible with your plans. If you planned to visit something outdoors and it's raining, or you planned to visit a tourist attraction and get there to find there's a 3 hour line to get in, have an alternate plan. Check ahead to make sure things are open the day you plan to visit before you travel to see them. This will keep you enjoying your trip rather than dwelling on what you're missing. Oh, and be sure to enjoy as much bread, cheese, chocolate, and pastries as you can while in Europe. They are all FAR better than what you can get in most of the US! They all go well with French wine or German beer too :wink: (okay, beer and chocolate doesn't sound good, but everything else does).

14. Aug 22, 2004 #13

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd also recommend traveling by http://www.eurorail.com: the train system is extensive in Europe: you can travel anywhere.

15. Aug 22, 2004 #14
    Kind of like the Translink in B.C. and the Metro in Montreal. It's the US that has poor public transportation.

How is the bike riding in Europe?

16. Aug 22, 2004 #15
    I am not sure about bike riding in Europe in general but I can tell you that bike riding in France might not be such a good idea!! I've known French drivers to be really uncarish on the roads! Cars and ever coaches hardly even stop at pedestrian crossings, despite the little man being green!

I've been in France (for work) with a friend for 5 weeks and he used to commute to work every day on his bike and that was hell for him on the road. Although if you are cycling in villagey places, it's not usually so bad as cycling in town.

And if you look carefully, at least one car out of two in france has a dent somewhere!!

17. Aug 22, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is what Tsu and I did. It was a great time and very affordable. Also, the small price increase for first class is well worth it. Just beware that as we did, you may run into a private line in the more remote areas. We were halfway to Zermat before we knew that this train was not included.

I swear to you, the conductor threatened to kick us off right in the middle of the Alps!!! He would only accept Swiss cash; NOW! Luckily I had enough Swiss currency from coffee change to pay for a ride in the caboose. :eek:

18. Aug 22, 2004 #17

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I go everywhere on my bicycle, there are special roads for bikes so cars are not a problem. I've known people who commuted 40 km to work and 40 km back, everyday.

Bike riding not a good idea in France? Every heard of the tour-de-france? :bugeye: just kidding :rofl:

19. Aug 22, 2004 #18
    Ha ha, Very FUNNY! :smile:

20. Aug 22, 2004 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

In Paris, not even walking is safe. :wink: I had to jump off the sidewalk and into the street a couple of times to avoid being hit by a car driving up on the sidewalk. :bugeye:

21. Aug 22, 2004 #20
    Tell me about it!

They seem to think the sidewalk along with the cycle lane is a parking space! Or that the white markings at a zebra crossing is actually black! :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?