Taking Care of Your Laptop: Tips & Guidelines

• Thread starter darkar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary: If you're really concerned, run it on battery and unplugged at night.Been thinking about this quite a bit ... own empirical evidence suggests that it applies (or that the life isn't significantly shortened), I run 2 laptops 24/7 and don't seem to have any more problems or a shorter lifespan than with other workstations (and with workstations would definitely argue longer ... no thermal transients etc. prolongs). If you're really concerned, run it on battery and unplugged at night.
darkar
Okay, this is my first laptop so I would like to know some tips and guideline on how to protect my laptop and taking care of it.

What problems usually occur on a laptop?

What should I take note on the laptop in order to increase its lifespan and performance.

What happen if there is dust enter inside ur laptop and how to prevent it?

What should I do to secure laptop.

and any other related guidelines are appreciated.

Thanks ~

Computer science news on Phys.org
"What problems usually occur on a laptop?"

Most of my troubles have been somehow mechanical - due to excessive moving about and such. Cable crimp, loose screws, scratches, etc. Or hardware problems caused by the occasional bump. (My video card is acting up). Peripherals - anything that attaches to the laptop - have had a rough time: wireless network card, USB mouse cable, power cable. I am about to buy my third power cable - it keeps crimping right at the socket.

"What should I take note on the laptop in order to increase its lifespan and performance."

MAKE SURE YOU KEEP IT UNDER WARRANTY. I wish I had done that.

"What happen if there is dust enter inside ur laptop and how to prevent it?"

I've never done much about this.

"What should I do to secure laptop."

Never, ever let it more than six inches from you in public.

The warranty thing is a must, one which lasts till you get a new one ... any laptop out of last 5 hasn't stand without maintenance for more than 4 months :cry: . Have tried to lighten the dust problem by compressed air to the fans. Most of my problems have been hardware failures due to "overuse" or something, have managed without too bad bumps. Best way to keep it running good is to keep it away from Windows.

Always keep your battery charged and plug the laptop in if there is a receptacle nearby. Batteries have a relatively short lifespan, so the less you use it, the better.

Using a vacuum occasionally will help prevent dust accumulation.

Dngrsone said:
Using a vacuum occasionally will help prevent dust accumulation.

well then how are u going to dissipate the heat?

hit the fans with a vacuum to suck out the dust.

I guess just keep care to not throw it around.

and get a security cable to lock it up.

when i bought mine the salesperson told me to keep the materlial that was between the screen and keyboard to protect the screen... i lost it though

My friends told me that the more time u let your computer on, the longer its life.. Is this true? Does this apply to laptop also?

darkar said:
My friends told me that the more time u let your computer on, the longer its life.. Is this true? Does this apply to laptop also?

Been thinking about this quite a bit ... own empirical evidence suggests that it applies (or that the life isn't significantly shortened), I run 2 laptops 24/7 and don't seem to have any more problems or a shorter lifespan than with other workstations (and with workstations would definitely argue longer ... no thermal transients etc. prolongs).

1. How often should I clean my laptop?

It is recommended to clean your laptop at least once a month. However, if you use your laptop frequently or in a dusty environment, you may need to clean it more often.

2. What is the best way to clean my laptop?

The best way to clean your laptop is to use a soft, lint-free cloth and a gentle cleaning solution specifically designed for electronics. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage your laptop.

3. Can I use compressed air to clean my laptop?

Yes, compressed air can be used to remove dust and debris from your laptop's keyboard and ports. However, be sure to hold the can upright and use short bursts of air to avoid damaging any internal components.

4. How can I protect my laptop from physical damage?

To protect your laptop from physical damage, it is important to handle it with care and avoid dropping it or placing heavy objects on top of it. You can also invest in a laptop case or sleeve for added protection.

5. How can I extend the lifespan of my laptop?

To extend the lifespan of your laptop, it is important to keep it clean, updated, and well-maintained. Avoid overcharging the battery and make sure to shut down your laptop properly instead of just closing the lid. It is also recommended to use a surge protector to protect your laptop from power surges.