1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking derivatives implicitly

1. May 5, 2014 #1
    I have some complicated function f of the variables x,y:

f(x,y)

Now I can't really invert this expression for f for x and y, but I want the derivative of x and y wrt f. How can I do that? Am I allowed to say:

∂x/∂f = 1/(∂f/∂x)

I have seen physicists "cheat" by using this relation, though I am not sure that it is always true. In general when can I do the above?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I take it f is a number, not a vector ? That is difficult to invert (making two variables out of one function value?), so it will also be difficult to get those derivatives!

When I don't understand things, I try an example. Here I try ##f = x^2+y^2## and the best I can do is write
    $$df = \left(\partial f\over \partial x \right)_y dx + \left(\partial f\over \partial y \right)_x dy$$ Physicists 'cheat' as much as they can get away with -- just like everybody else. There steno jargon does get misquoted frequently, though. Can you give an example ? Maybe we can work out what they meant, but wrote down in a sloppy shortcut sort of way...

4. May 5, 2014 #3
    Always. The partials in the equation imply that y is being held constant. In that case, f is just a function of the single variable x, and x is just a function of the single variable f.

Chet

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted