Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking some Postgraduate Years for Research

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone, I'm in an M.S. program for physics. I am studying the quantum state of a photon in the presence of electrons and positrons as a research project in theoretical particle-physics. The research itself is going slowly, but as I take more classes, I get better at research...naturally. The question I bring to you: I'll be done with three more semesters (Spring 2011). I'll be pretty physics-educated by then. However, I know there are people out there with better credentials than I.

I was wondering if I could continue research with my present advisor for a time between the start of my PhD program and the end of my M.S. program. In theory, I could wait a number of years and do research before going for my PhD. I could do something else on the side: e.g., mission work, etc., and still do research....I hope. I need time to publish. I thought it was also helpful that theoretical physics doesn't require fancy instrumentation, and I can pretty much take it anywhere I go.

Do you think that if I don't get into the PhD school of my choice that it's a wise idea to take some time off after getting my M.S. and focus on publishing with my current adviser? (He's working with a friend of mine on something, even so he's already graduated).

2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted