Taking some Postgraduate Years for Research

In summary, the speaker is a student in an M.S. program for physics and is conducting research on the quantum state of a photon. They are considering continuing research with their current advisor after completing their M.S. program and before starting a PhD program. They are also considering other options such as mission work, but are interested in publishing their research. The speaker is seeking advice on whether it is a wise idea to take some time off after their M.S. program to focus on publishing with their current advisor if they do not get into their desired PhD program.
bjnartowt
Hi everyone, I'm in an M.S. program for physics. I am studying the quantum state of a photon in the presence of electrons and positrons as a research project in theoretical particle-physics. The research itself is going slowly, but as I take more classes, I get better at research...naturally. The question I bring to you: I'll be done with three more semesters (Spring 2011). I'll be pretty physics-educated by then. However, I know there are people out there with better credentials than I.

I was wondering if I could continue research with my present advisor for a time between the start of my PhD program and the end of my M.S. program. In theory, I could wait a number of years and do research before going for my PhD. I could do something else on the side: e.g., mission work, etc., and still do research...I hope. I need time to publish. I thought it was also helpful that theoretical physics doesn't require fancy instrumentation, and I can pretty much take it anywhere I go.

Do you think that if I don't get into the PhD school of my choice that it's a wise idea to take some time off after getting my M.S. and focus on publishing with my current adviser? (He's working with a friend of mine on something, even so he's already graduated).

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a bit worried that I may not get into a PhD program of my choice so I am looking for alternative options. Do you think continuing research with my current adviser is a wise idea? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello,

I understand the importance of research and publication in the field of physics. It is commendable that you are pursuing an M.S. program in physics and conducting research on the quantum state of a photon in the presence of electrons and positrons. I can appreciate the challenges you may be facing in your research, but it is great to hear that you are improving as you take more classes.

Regarding your question about continuing research with your current advisor between the start of your PhD program and the end of your M.S. program, it is certainly a possibility. Many researchers take time off between degrees to focus on their research and publish their findings. It is also beneficial that theoretical physics does not require fancy instrumentation and can be conducted anywhere. However, it is important to carefully consider your options and prioritize your goals.

If your ultimate goal is to pursue a PhD program, then it may be wise to focus on applying to the programs of your choice rather than taking time off for research. It is also important to note that the competition for PhD programs can be intense, and it may be beneficial to focus on strengthening your application rather than taking a break for research.

On the other hand, if your current research is yielding promising results and you believe that taking time off to publish with your advisor will significantly benefit your academic career, then it may be worth considering. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals and priorities.

I would also suggest discussing your options with your current advisor and seeking advice from other mentors or professors in the field. They may be able to provide valuable insights and guidance to help you make an informed decision.

I wish you all the best in your academic pursuits and research endeavors.

1. What is the purpose of taking postgraduate years for research?

The purpose of taking postgraduate years for research is to further your education and gain specialized knowledge in a particular field. It allows you to delve deeper into your chosen subject and develop advanced research skills.

2. How long do postgraduate years for research typically last?

The duration of postgraduate years for research varies depending on the program and the level of study. Generally, a Master's degree takes 1-2 years to complete, while a PhD can take 3-6 years.

3. Can I work while pursuing postgraduate years for research?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing postgraduate years for research. However, it is important to carefully manage your time and prioritize your studies as research can be demanding and time-consuming.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing postgraduate years for research?

There are several benefits of pursuing postgraduate years for research. Some of these include gaining specialized knowledge and skills, enhancing your career prospects, and contributing to the advancement of your chosen field.

5. What is the difference between postgraduate years for research and undergraduate studies?

The main difference between postgraduate years for research and undergraduate studies is the depth and focus of the education. Postgraduate years for research involve conducting original research and producing a thesis, whereas undergraduate studies focus on foundational knowledge and coursework.