"Showing E&B Obey Wave Equation w/ Maxwell's Curl

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that both E and B obey the wave equation with speed c by taking curls of the given equations and using the identities for the divergence and curl. The attempt at a solution involves using the identity for the curl of a curl and taking into account the fact that the divergence of both vector fields is 0. However, the conversation ends with uncertainty about how to handle the second time derivative and the next steps in the solution.
knowlewj01

Homework Statement

This question is closely related to physics but it's in a maths assignment paper i have so here it is:

By taking curls of the following equations:

[itex]\nabla \times \bf{E} = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\bf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex]

[itex]\nabla \times \bf{B} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\bf{E}}{\partial t}[/itex]

show that both E and B obey the wave equation with speed c, that is:

[itex]\nabla^2\bf{E} = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2\bf{E}}{\partial t^2}[/itex]

and

[itex]\nabla^2\bf{B} = \frac{1}{c^2}\frac{\partial^2\bf{B}}{\partial t^2}[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]\nabla\cdot\bf{E} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\nabla\cdot\bf{B} = 0[/itex]
[itex]\nabla \times \bf{E} = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\bf{B}}{\partial t}[/itex]
[itex]\nabla \times \bf{B} = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial\bf{E}}{\partial t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to start this, so i took a wild guess. I started by looking at the first equation with [itex] \nabla \times \bf{E}[/itex] in it. and did the cross product, needless to say i got some horrible expression.

given that the divergence of both vector fields are 0, we should be able to write these vector fields as the curl of another vector field, such that:

[itex] \bf{E} = \nabla \times \bf{A}[/itex]

iff

[itex]\nabla\cdot\bf{E} = 0[/itex]

i think this is the starting point for the question. But i hit a brick wall at this point, anyone know what is next? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

i have got a bit further with this, not sure how to finish it off though.

take curls of the equations:

[itex]\nabla \times \left(\nabla\times\bf{E}\right) = -\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\nabla\times\bf{B}\right)[/itex] [1]

[itex]\nabla \times \left(\nabla\times\bf{B}\right) = \frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\nabla\times\bf{E}\right)[/itex] [2]

Use the identity: [itex]\nabla\times\left(\nabla\times A\right) = \nabla\left(\nabla\cdot A\right) - \nabla^2 A[/itex]

and since [itex]\nabla\cdot \bf{E} = \nabla\cdot \bf{B} = 0 [/itex]

eqn's [1] and [2] become:

[itex]\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\nabla\times\bf{B}\right) = \nabla^2\bf{E}[/itex] [3]
[itex]\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}\left(\nabla\times\bf{E}\right) = -\nabla^2\bf{B}[/itex] [4]

is this correct? i don't know wether i should curl something that is already operated by a d/dt also, where should the second time derivative come into it?

Last edited:

1. What is the E&B Obey Wave Equation?

The E&B Obey Wave Equation is a mathematical equation that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves in a vacuum. It is derived from Maxwell's equations, which are a set of fundamental equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is Maxwell's Curl and how is it related to the E&B Obey Wave Equation?

Maxwell's Curl is a mathematical operator that describes the curl or rotation of a vector field. It is one of the four fundamental equations in Maxwell's equations and is used to derive the E&B Obey Wave Equation, which describes the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

3. How is the E&B Obey Wave Equation used in practical applications?

The E&B Obey Wave Equation is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of antennas, radar systems, and telecommunications devices. It is also used in the study of electromagnetic waves and their behavior in different materials, which is important for various industries including telecommunications, aerospace, and defense.

4. What are the assumptions made in the E&B Obey Wave Equation?

The E&B Obey Wave Equation is based on the assumption that the medium in which the electromagnetic wave is propagating is a vacuum, meaning there are no particles or matter present. It also assumes that the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation.

5. Are there any limitations to the E&B Obey Wave Equation?

While the E&B Obey Wave Equation is a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves, it does have some limitations. It does not take into account the effects of dispersion, which is the dependence of the speed of the wave on its frequency. It also does not account for the presence of materials, which can affect the behavior of electromagnetic waves.