What Happens to z When Taking the Derivative of a Surface Equation?

• Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, Stewart explains that in the special case where a surface's equation is in the form z=f(x,y), it can be rewritten as F(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-z=0 and considered as a level surface of F. The partial derivatives of F with respect to x and y are equivalent to the partial derivatives of f with respect to x and y. Additionally, F=0 implicitly defines z as a function of x and y. This means that in this situation, x, y, and z are independent variables and z can be any value as long as the equation is satisfied. However, if the equation is rewritten as f(x,y)=z, then x and z would be
Cyrus
In stewart, page 806 he says:

"In the special case in which the equation of a surface S is of the form z=f(x,y) (that is, S is the graph of a function f of two variables), we can write the equation as

F(x,y,z) = f(x,y) - z = 0

and regard S as a level surface (with k=0) of F. Then

Fx(x0,y0,z0) = fx(x0,y0)
Fy(x0,y0,z0) = fy(x0,y0)
Fz(x0,y0,z0)= -1 "

end quote

I understand his moving z to the other side.
But when the take the derivative W.R.T x, what about the z? z is not a variable, z is a functin of x and y, so why don't u have some dz/dx term in there, Fx(x0,y0,z0)=fx(x0,y0) -dz/dx . How did z no longer become a dependent variable on x and y?

Physics news on Phys.org
becuase we are taking a level curve (when F=0), or if you like, F, a function of three variables, and f are completetly different things, F=0 implicitly defines z as a function of x and y (f).

Last edited:
becuase we are taking a level curve (when F=0), or if you like, F, a function of three variables, and f are completetly different things, F=0 implicitly defines z as a function of x and y (f).

Right, F=0 is a level surface of three variables, which means that for any value of x,y or z=f(x,y) the function spits out the value zero.

" F=0 implicitly defines z as a function of x and y (f)"

I don't quite know what you mean in this part. z is implicitely defined as a function of x, and y. I don't know what you mean by y(f) though. How does making F(x,y,z) change the fact that z is no longer depended on x any y? I could not figure that out from your explination, sorry.

What's not to figure out? You appear to have a common theme in your threads of simply leaping to a conclusion and not thinking about it. We have two different ways of thinking about the same thing, that's all. I can either have z as a function of x and y explicitly (your dependent situation) or I can take a *different* function of three (independent) variables and use that to implicitly define z as a function of x and y.

The f in brackets was to indicate how F=0 implicitly defines z as a function of y, ie the function is z=f(x,y).

You are used to doing this for two variables, surely.

Consider the equation

xy+y^2+x=1

this defines a locus in the xy plane. Would you be happy to find me dy/dx from this?

Seeing as you are assigning too much meaning to symbols, cnosider this, let f be a fuction of x and y (look no mention of z) and now define a new function F of three variables F(x,y,z) = f(x,y)-z

now, the level surface F=0 is the set of points x,y,z satisfying f(x,y)=z. I can plot this as a surface.

See, no mention of dependent or indepenent variables, which is all a red herring anyway.

The nature of the z changes exactly because we declare them to be differnt in the different expressions. Again, just a notational convention that you need to learn. There is no smoke and mirrors going on.

perhaps it would help if you used completely different letters: F(u,v,w)=f(u,v)-w

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I like your explination, becuase through your way, z is has no relation to f(x,y). By setting f(x,y)-z=0, we can still have any value of x or y, but it forces us to limit our scope to value of the (variable) z, so that the equation is satisfied. So in that sense, z is truly a variable now, it can be whatever it wants to be, but the equality forces a restriction on it. Is that an ok way to think about it?

Ok, here is a better question to ask. When we have z=f(x,y), then z is a function of x and y. So z is not an independent variable. If I take the derivative w.r.t x or y, id get dz/dx or dz/dy.

But when I declare F(x,y,z), does that change z from being a dependent variable into a dependent variable, but with a restirction imposed on it, since it must satisfy f(x,y)-z=0?

Last edited:
Gah! Whether or not something is or is not dependent would depend upon what you're doign. IN THIS CASE x,y and z are INDEPENDENT variables of a function F, absolutely indpendent, totally independent.

From this we can create a function z=f(x,y) by NOW taking a level curve and from this we can think of z as a function of the independent variables x and y (z is not a variable now, if you like, dependent or otherwise, z is a function of x and y). this level curve also may define y as a function of x and z or even x as a function of y and z.

"when i declare F(x,y,z)". What does that mean?

"when i declare F(x,y,z)". What does that mean?

That F is a function of three imput variables, x,y,z which have no dependence on one another.

It might help you to realize this:

defining F(x, y, z) = f(x, y) - z

means exactly the same thing as

defining [itex]F(\spadesuit, q, \xi) = f(\spadesuit, q) - \xi[/itex].

Hey matt. I thought about what you said. Could you help me out with this please.

Lets say we have, a function defined as F(x,y,z) = f(x,y) -z =0

In this situation, x,y,and z are independent variables. So I could pick any value for x and y, but then I am limited in what I can choose for z in order for the equation to equal zero. Would It be incorrect for me to say that I could pick a value for x and z, but then be limited in my choice of y, while still keeping the equation the same, f(x,y)-z=0 , or would I have to rewrite it as f(x,z)-y=0?

No, F(x,y,z)=0 is not a function of 3 independent variables at all. it is an equality. F(x,y,z) is a function of 3 independent vairables.

I see, could I write it as F(x,y,f(x,y))=0 ?

That would depend what you meant when you wrote it. If you meant a function of three inputs, then no, in fact that makes even less sense now. The whole point of this is that we define a function

F(x,y,z)=f(x,y)-z

that is the function. OK?

then we take the level curve of that function given by requiring F=0.

Last edited:

1. How do you take the derivative of a function?

To take the derivative of a function, you use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of each term in the function and then combine them. This process is also known as finding the rate of change of the function at a specific point.

2. What is the purpose of taking the derivative?

The purpose of taking the derivative is to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. This can be used to analyze the behavior of a function, such as finding the maximum or minimum points, or to solve optimization problems.

3. Can any function be differentiated?

Not all functions can be differentiated. A function must be continuous and have a well-defined slope at every point in order for its derivative to exist. Some functions, such as those with sharp corners or discontinuities, cannot be differentiated.

4. How do you know if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if it is continuous and has a well-defined slope at every point. This means that the function must have a smooth and continuous graph with no sharp corners or breaks.

5. What are the different methods for taking the derivative?

There are several methods for taking the derivative, including the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules use basic algebraic operations to find the derivative of a function. Additionally, you can also use tables, graphs, and numerical methods to approximate the derivative of a function.