Taking the natural logarithm of e^(2i*pi)

In summary, the conversation discusses confusion about taking the natural logarithm of ei*pi and e2i*pi. The speaker is unsure why Wolfram Alpha translates ln[e^(2i*pi)] to log[e2i*pi]=0 and is seeking an explanation for this.
rustynail
Hello,

I was playing around with DeMoivre's formula

ei*pi = -1

and there is something I don't quite understand about taking the natural logarithm of a certain expression. I though that

e2i*pi = 1

ln[e2i*pi] = ln (1),

but this yields to an imposibility

2i*pi = 0.

So obviously I am doing something wrong, and when I input ln[e^(2i*pi)] into Wolfram, it gives log[e2i*pi]=0.

Can anyone explain why Wolfram Alpha translates ln[e^(2i*pi)] to log[e2i*pi]=0, and why that second expression is true?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=637214 It says micromass but it was really me...>.> ok it was micromass

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, I appreciate, thank you!

1. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse of the exponential function e^x. It is the logarithm with base e, where e is a mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.71828.

2. What is e^(2i*pi)?

e^(2i*pi) is a complex number with a real part of 1 and an imaginary part of 0. It is also known as Euler's identity and is often written as e^(i*pi) + 1 = 0. It is a fundamental relationship in mathematics and is commonly used in the study of complex numbers.

3. Why take the natural logarithm of e^(2i*pi)?

Taking the natural logarithm of e^(2i*pi) helps to simplify the expression and make it easier to work with in calculations and equations. It is a common step in solving problems involving complex numbers.

4. What is the value of ln(e^(2i*pi))?

The value of ln(e^(2i*pi)) is 2i*pi. This can be derived from the properties of logarithms, specifically that ln(e^x) = x. Therefore, ln(e^(2i*pi)) = 2i*pi.

5. What are the applications of taking the natural logarithm of e^(2i*pi)?

The natural logarithm of e^(2i*pi) has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the study of complex numbers, Fourier series, and differential equations. It also has applications in signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering.