Taking the Plunge into Physics at Purdue

• Thread starter Mzachman
  • Start date
In summary, the individual has been at Purdue for 3 years and has finally decided to pursue a degree in physics after taking their first physics class a year ago. They have submitted their change of degree objective papers and are signing up for classes next semester. They are also looking into a research position for the summer. They have fully committed to studying physics and are excited to see how it goes. Others have wished them luck and congratulated them on their decision.
Mzachman
So I'm finally taking the plunge. I've been at Purdue for 3 years now, never knowing what i really wanted to do. Ever since my first physics class ever a year ago I have been considering going into it.

I couldn't decide what to do, so I decided that I would never be able to decide, and decided not to try to decide anymore what to do, and just jump. So this week I got all the change of degree objective papers turned in, and and starting to get signed up for classes next semester (and this summer), and I'm looking into a research position this summer too. I'm full on taking the plunge now, we'll see how it goes :).

Look out physics world, here I come! haha

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is a tough choice, but good luck. You'll need it.

I know the Purdue physics building well...it has some neat posters on the second floor.

Everybody into the pool!

Congrats!

1. What is the physics program like at Purdue?

The physics program at Purdue is highly esteemed and offers a wide range of study options, including undergraduate and graduate degrees, research opportunities, and access to state-of-the-art facilities. The faculty is dedicated to teaching and research, and the curriculum is designed to provide a strong foundation in both theoretical and experimental physics.

2. What kind of research opportunities are available for physics students at Purdue?

Purdue has a strong emphasis on research, and there are numerous opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students to get involved. These include working in faculty-led research groups, participating in summer research programs, and completing independent research projects. Students have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects in areas such as astrophysics, biophysics, condensed matter physics, and more.

3. How does the physics program at Purdue prepare students for future careers?

The physics program at Purdue is designed to equip students with the critical thinking, problem-solving, and technical skills necessary for success in a variety of careers. Graduates from Purdue's physics program have gone on to work in fields such as research, engineering, finance, and education. The program also provides opportunities for internships and networking, which can help students make connections and gain valuable experience.

4. Are there any unique aspects of the physics program at Purdue?

One unique aspect of the physics program at Purdue is the strong collaboration between the physics department and other departments, such as engineering and mathematics. This interdisciplinary approach allows students to gain a well-rounded understanding of physics and its applications in different fields. Additionally, Purdue has a strong focus on student involvement and offers a variety of clubs and organizations related to physics.

5. What kind of support and resources are available for physics students at Purdue?

Purdue offers a variety of resources and support for physics students, including academic advising, tutoring services, and career services. The physics department also has a dedicated undergraduate office and faculty advisors who are available to help students with academic and career-related questions. The university also provides access to library resources, study spaces, and other tools to aid in student success.