1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking various fields

1. Apr 20, 2015 #1
    I like getting all knowledge and also like being an all rounder.
    I like Maths, physics and chemistry.
    I think in mechanical engineering only mechanics is taught.
    In which branch all topics are taught?
    Or can one choose various fields like elec engineering, chemical engineering, computer science side by side?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2015 #2

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

A physics major is going to take the full calculus sequence, along with at least differential equations and linear algebra. They will also typically take a couple semesters of general chemistry.

A chemistry major will take at least an introductory physics sequence.

Most engineering students will have to take at least the introductory physics sequence. A mechanical engineering major would typically take some upper level classical mechanics, an electrical engineering major is likely to take upper level E&M etc.

A chemical engineering major will take the introductory physics sequence, a fair amount of math, and a lot of chemistry. That's something worth considering.

Your question seems oriented toward engineering, but something like physical chemistry is worth considering too. It's basically the physics of chemical processes. It involves much more than just classical mechanics.

4. Apr 20, 2015 #3
    Engineering physics is probably what you're looking for, an example program is UWisconsin Madison's Applied Math, Physics, and Engineering degree:

https://www.math.wisc.edu/amep

Programs like this essentially balances all of the above disciplines to give a generalized education, might be worth looking into.

5. Apr 20, 2015 #4

Intrastellar

Gold Member

At which country are you planning to do your undergraduate education ?

6. Apr 20, 2015 #5
    In India
    @clope023 I think that program is for US citizens?
    @QuantumCurt which branch you have taken?

7. Apr 20, 2015 #6

QuantumCurt

Education Advisor

I'm a physics/math double major.

Engineering physics may be a very good option. Although it isn't necessarily going to contain any chemistry beyond general chemistry.

8. Apr 20, 2015 #7
    You take a little bit of everything with any stem major, I think its better to figure out what you want to do after school and try to get skills more geared toward that eventual goal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook