Becoming an All-Rounder: Taking Multiple Fields of Study

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fields
In summary, the conversation discusses various options for undergraduate education, specifically in the fields of engineering, physics, math, and chemistry. The possibility of pursuing a more generalized education, such as through an engineering physics program, is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering one's future goals and choosing a field of study accordingly.
Raghav Gupta
I like getting all knowledge and also like being an all rounder.
I like Maths, physics and chemistry.
I think in mechanical engineering only mechanics is taught.
In which branch all topics are taught?
Or can one choose various fields like elec engineering, chemical engineering, computer science side by side?

Physics news on Phys.org
A physics major is going to take the full calculus sequence, along with at least differential equations and linear algebra. They will also typically take a couple semesters of general chemistry.

A chemistry major will take at least an introductory physics sequence.

Most engineering students will have to take at least the introductory physics sequence. A mechanical engineering major would typically take some upper level classical mechanics, an electrical engineering major is likely to take upper level E&M etc.

A chemical engineering major will take the introductory physics sequence, a fair amount of math, and a lot of chemistry. That's something worth considering.

Your question seems oriented toward engineering, but something like physical chemistry is worth considering too. It's basically the physics of chemical processes. It involves much more than just classical mechanics.

Likes Raghav Gupta and Greg Bernhardt
Raghav Gupta said:
Or can one choose various fields like elec engineering, chemical engineering, computer science side by side?

Engineering physics is probably what you're looking for, an example program is UWisconsin Madison's Applied Math, Physics, and Engineering degree:

https://www.math.wisc.edu/amep

Programs like this essentially balances all of the above disciplines to give a generalized education, might be worth looking into.

Raghav Gupta said:
At which country are you planning to do your undergraduate education ?

montadhar said:
At which country are you planning to do your undergraduate education ?
In India
@clope023 I think that program is for US citizens?
@QuantumCurt which branch you have taken?

I'm a physics/math double major.

Engineering physics may be a very good option. Although it isn't necessarily going to contain any chemistry beyond general chemistry.

Likes Raghav Gupta
You take a little bit of everything with any stem major, I think its better to figure out what you want to do after school and try to get skills more geared toward that eventual goal.

Likes Raghav Gupta

1. What is an all-rounder?

An all-rounder is someone who excels in multiple fields of study or has a diverse range of skills and knowledge.

2. Why is becoming an all-rounder important?

Becoming an all-rounder can open up more opportunities and increase your competitiveness in the job market. It also allows for a more well-rounded and versatile skill set.

3. How can one become an all-rounder?

Becoming an all-rounder requires dedication, hard work, and a willingness to learn. It also involves exploring different fields of study and finding connections between them. Continuous learning and self-improvement are key.

4. Is it better to specialize in one field or be an all-rounder?

It ultimately depends on your goals and interests. Specializing in one field can lead to expertise and mastery in that area, while being an all-rounder can provide versatility and adaptability. Both have their advantages and it's important to find a balance that works for you.

5. Can anyone become an all-rounder?

Yes, anyone can become an all-rounder with determination and hard work. It's important to have a growth mindset and be open to learning and exploring new areas. With dedication and effort, anyone can expand their knowledge and skills in multiple fields.